Menu
SLIM82
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 suddenly has red light please help VM

I have a hub 3 in modem mode as the performance as a router was in usable 😩

All was working well for maybe two months now all of a sudden the hub light has changed from purple to red, the internet connection drops more often for a short period of time. The hub is on a shelf not enclosed. I have tried resetting but no change. Very very annoying 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 suddenly has red light please help VM

Do a pinhole reset using the small hole in the back.  That'll erase all settings and reload firmware, and it will come back on in router mode.  If the light's still red, you need a replacement hub (and staff here can sort that out).  If comes back on white, then put it back into modem mode.  I can't explain the purple to red change, but my own Hub 3 has always had the magenta LED in modem mode, and the colour depends on how you are looking at it - directly on-axis, it looks magenta, but at any angle other than exactly face on it looks red, and that's normal for a Hub 3.

If it isn't overheating, but has a continuous red LED, then whilst it needs replacing (a) you'll probably get a second hand Hub 3 as replacement and (b) any poor connection problem will probably remain because that's normally a line noise/power/error problem rather than a faulty hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, SLIM82

The red light does typically mean overheating to the hub. Did the reset work? If not then I have also sent you a private message to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

SLIM82
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Nope reset didn’t work 

0 Kudos
SLIM82
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just had an engineer round apparently they changed the light from purple to red in modem mode. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That sounds like a load of old horse droppings.  I don't believe that the hub LED colours have been changed, and in the highly improbable situation that they have, VM haven't told themselves, because the public guidance is still that a red LED means overheating.

In modem mode the light has always looked red-ish when viewed off axis, but should be a pinky-purple ("magenta") when viewed face on.  If it is definitely red then the hub is signalling that the CPU is overheating.  Usually there's no external symptoms like the hub feeling hot, because the total heat output is the same, it is just that for some reason the heat isn't being conducted away from the CPU.  So what would be expected is that the CPU either/both throttles down and reduces performance, or the high temperature causes errors leading to disconnections.

There's a simple test, and that's to reset the hub (using the pinhole on the back of the hub), let it come back on line, that will be in router mode until you put it back in modem mode.  Let it stay in router mode for a good few hours.  If after prolonged running the hub shows a red light, it is overheating and needs replacing, or the thermal detection has gone wrong, and that still needs replacing.

If the hub LED stays white in router mode, then you should be OK to flip it back into modem mode and put the colour down to sample variation, so long as the connection is solid and reliable with no dropouts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SLIM82
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks may have to try this one the weekend as using the hub as router is unusable for me wfh speed drops to 2mb and below causing me to be kicked out of meetings. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi @SLIM82,

We do have an appointment booked in for you to get this looked into, I will send over a private message to discuss the date and time. 

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
SLIM82
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The hub was replaced by the same engineer who said they changed modem mode from purple to red. New hub seems to be working okay purple light in modem mode. 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ah now what you should have done is ask the engineer why, the led is purple if they have supposedly changed it to red in modem mode, and see what random BS explanation they come out with!

The hubs are built in bulk as cheaply as possible with the lowest quality components that they can get away with (and by they, I mean Liberty Global which is VM’s parent company and owners), with a subsequent rate of failures.

I really wouldn’t put any emphasis on the led colour at all, the problems you were experience will have been a coincidence.