Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 router

Was in contact one month ago to report issues with the Hub3 and you diagnosed a fault on the router part of the unit. You were sending out a replacement that never turned up, tried for three weeks to contact you and got nowhere. Really poor service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 router

What 'issue' are you experiencing ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Coverage through the house is intermittently poor, this has gone on for a while and VM perform a reset from their end and it works for a while. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

VM do not and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Been looking at the Amazon eero mesh wi-fi router extender as a possibilty, what do you think?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@mikast71 wrote:
Been looking at the Amazon eero mesh wi-fi router extender as a possibilty, what do you think?

My honest opinion is to stay away from the Amazon / Argos / BT / Google / John Lewis type own brands. There are very good reasons that they are cheap.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mike's right? What budget do you have in mind and how big is the property?

Mesh systems such as TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) are good – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latley's like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Eero is actually a well established brand that started in 2015 and were purchased by Amazon in 2019

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos