Menu
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 router name

New to Virgin. I have the Hub3 installed last week.  Saturday night, when trying to watch Amazon Prime, the image was unwatchable.  Ran a scan and it said I’d “lost a channel and should reset”.  I did that.

when the router had reset, it “lost” the ability to connect to either 2G or 5G, and now just shows the router name to connect to.

Is there something wrong here?  I was under the impression from the engineer that installed on Thursday that I have the choice depending on speed/range preferences.

thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 router name

@spikeysteve wrote:

New to Virgin. I have the Hub3 installed last week.  Saturday night, when trying to watch Amazon Prime, the image was unwatchable.  Ran a scan and it said I’d “lost a channel and should reset”.  I did that.

when the router had reset, it “lost” the ability to connect to either 2G or 5G, and now just shows the router name to connect to.

<snip>

When you reset the Hub it goes back to factory settings, i.e. a single SSID.  I assume the engineer split the SSID's and you will need to do the same, just append -2 and -5 to the SSID names so you know which one to connect to.  You should also switch off Smart Optimisation to stop the wifi channels moving.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

thanks for the information.  I’ve managed to switch off the smart optimisation.  How/where do I rename/split the SSIDs?

thanks again.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Advanced --> Wireless (If I recall correctly)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @spikeysteve

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear this has happened with your connection! 

It seems our community have done an excellent job, as always, at guiding you with this issue. Has everything been resolved now or do you require further assistance? 

Thank you.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I ended up having the IDs renamed by a member of staff over the phone.

the community has been a great help, and I’m continuing to learn from them.

thanks Ash.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That is great to hear and thank you so much for letting me know. 

Do you now know how to rename these yourself should you need to in the future? If not I can leave a step by step guide for you here? 

Thanks again. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
spikeysteve
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The person on the phone suggested a phone call should it happen again as she was unsure if it was something I could do my end.  If you could leave a guide, that would be great.  Hopefully it may help someone else in the future.

thanks

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Of course no problem. 

• To access your Hub settings page you need to type 192.168.0.1 into your browser and search,this will take you to the log in page.
  • Enter your setting password, which is an 8 digit number written on the underside of the Hub.
  • Once on the home page go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security 
  • This will take you to a page with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies listed, simply change the names so they no longer match and the frequencies will split. 

Thank you and I hope that helps. 

Ash_C
Forum Team