Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 red light

I've recently joined Virgin and my service has been down more in 2 months then 5 years with my previous provider.

My hub is in modem mode and constantly has a red status light. Every now and then I lose the internet connection for hours.

The service check says my connection is fine.

Online help suggests the unit is overheating, so I put a 12inch fan next to it, but it's not helping

Other's have said the light is magenta not red and is normal, but mine definitely looks red and my service is down.

Can't get through to support. I was on hold for an hour and a half and then they just dropped my call.

Any ideas what I should do?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 red light

The red light means it's in Modem Mode.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Put the Hub back into modem mode. If it stays "red" then it's overheating. If it goes white(ish) then its fine and you light really is "magenta" when in modem mode.

Also you haven't said what happens on devices connected on ethernet cable when wifi ones drop out? That is - is it really the network that is disconnecting or just the wifi?

Finally, as well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers >1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand  meant to say "put the hub back in router mode"....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll test the router mode out tomorrow and see if it really is overheating, regarding the devices.

Everything is connected and working in my LAN (Wifi & Wired). My Asus router's web UI shows the internet is down. I can't remember what info was there or if it had a public IP. I'll check next time it happens. Is there a web UI for the Hub3 in modem mode?

Thanks for the local issues number. I'll definitely check that next time!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

http://192.168.0.1 (router mode) or http://192.168.100.1 (in modem mode)

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.