Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 red light permanently on

user_0580900
Joining in

Hub 3 red light is permanently on.  

• I have relocated the hub in case it was overheating
  • I have rebooted the hub multiple times

The connection is actually functioning this week, but is intermittently unstable (multiple times an hour it it will run slowly or lose DNS, then go back to the usual 500mb down / 50mb up) 

The have been recurring service issues intermittently since around Aug 14th, both instability and total loss of connection at different times

• the hub would go down (red light) every few hours
  • a factory reset would, sometimes bring the hub back online, but not always
  • sometimes the hub would have an extended boot time, and the hub lights for 'downloading update' would be on
  • a series of Virgin text messages would arrive saying 'there is an issue', then 'issue fixed etc'.  The status in the text was sometimes the opposite to the actual status of the connection
  • all cables have been unplugged and replugged as per trouble-shooting guide

The hub is operating in modem-only mode (this setting has to be restored after every factory reset).  There is a monitored wired and wireless network on the LAN side of the hub, monitoring shows that the problem is not arising in the LAN, it's the Hub 3 or the connection.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @user_0580900,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing a red light on your Hub!

A red light could indicate that there's an internal fault or that the Hub is overheating. If your Hub is warm to the touch, or smells like burning, we would advise unplugging it from the mains as this could be a potential fire hazard.

However, if your Hub is in Modem Mode like you stated, then this may not be the case. When the Hub is in Modem Mode, the light on the Hub will be a dark pink/ almost red colour. Please can you confirm if you're still seeing a red light on your Hub when your Hub is in Router Mode?

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @user_0580900,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing a red light on your Hub!

A red light could indicate that there's an internal fault or that the Hub is overheating. If your Hub is warm to the touch, or smells like burning, we would advise unplugging it from the mains as this could be a potential fire hazard.

However, if your Hub is in Modem Mode like you stated, then this may not be the case. When the Hub is in Modem Mode, the light on the Hub will be a dark pink/ almost red colour. Please can you confirm if you're still seeing a red light on your Hub when your Hub is in Router Mode?

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks Paulina.

In Router mode, the bottom LED is not red.  It shows a lemon / yellow-ish colour.  I tried to take a picture but it just looks white on a phone camera. 

Switching back to modem mode, the light is the red-pink colour, so that seems normal.

I ran the status checks, these seem normal?

user_0580900_0-1694166212826.png

Connectivity remains unstable and has been since around August 14th but seems the Hub 3 is working as expected? 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi user_0580900 👋

Thank you for confirming those details. Based on the details you've provided, the bottom LED being a red tone is not a cause for concern, as this appears to indicate an aged LED as you are only seeing it in Modem Mode.

I've taken a look on our side, and I can see that the levels on your service are out of specification and will require a Technician visit. I'm going to send you a private message - please look out for it in the top-right, white envelope or by tapping the "Messages" after tapping your profile picture. 

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ