Menu
Matman050988
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 over heating, loss of service

Hi,

Any Virgin staff about? It’s impossible to get in touch with them via the phone and live chat doesn’t work.

My router is overheating and it’s got a constant bright red light, half my connected devices don’t work or constantly cut out and it’s impossible to stream on any device unless it’s in the same room as the router.

I ideally need a new router sent to me. Whatever the latest one is. As the super hub 3 is terrible.

Can anyone help with this at all?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 over heating, loss of service

Sounds like you need a new Hub 3, quickest way to resolve this issue is to call in however if you wait here a few days the team will get one sent out.

In the meantime try giving the hub breaks and ensure its able to get air and isn't in an enclosed space, maybe try to blow through the vents to move any dust that may have built up.

disconnecting the hub from power when not in use should help give you longer periods without issues, also in the meantime you could try factory reset of the hub by pressing the pinhole reset for 60 seconds.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
Matman050988
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Any staff? About the 15th failed attempt at getting through to them in over 6 weeks. Absolute shocking.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have asked VM to come here and advise

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Matman050988

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I am sorry that you've had some issues with your broadband recently. 

I have located your account from your forum information and at the time of writing, there are no known area issues but I can see that there are some errors - but it has been over 3 weeks since the hub was rebooted so that could explain the reason for that.

Please reboot at your earliest convenience. If the Hub is showing the red light, please leave it off for around 30 minutes to fully cool - ensure it's in an open space also. 

Other than that, your signal levels are looking ok and within specification for what we would expect. 

Do pop back once you have rebooted and we can recheck things from here again for you

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Matman050988
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this issue as been going on for a long time, I’ve had the router turned off at times over nights and it’s still overheating when I turn it back on. Rebooting never helps and I get little to no service in any other room apart from the one the router is located.

It’s genuinely been that long trying to contact someone to get it fixed now. I’m losing patience, my contract is also up very soon I believe.

can you look into this further for me please?

it’s that bad I can’t even run a test to check blind spots in my house as it doesn’t pick up the router despite me standing right next to it.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HI there @Matman050988

I do appreciate you popping back this afternoon - when checking your account again, it is still advising it has been over 3 weeks since the last reboot. 

Please reboot and leave off for at least 30minutes before plugging back in. Once you have done that, let me know so I can check again from here for you.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Matman050988
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie.

That’s been done multiple times and never worked. Just wasting both our times doing it again. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

To convince them - pinhole reset it like this...

Make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first !

Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin in firmly to its stop point with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds (time it!), release the pin, leave for 10’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Matman050988
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie.

ive done a pinhole reset as requested above. Router still constantly showing red and reception still terrible. I phoned Virgin and went to the faults section. The automated bot ran a test. Said it showed ‘intermittent issues’ and to get in touch with someone. 

Can you look into this properly now please? It’s been going on for months and it’s impossible to get hold of anyone on the phone. 

0 Kudos