Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 not performing

Hello Virgin Media,

My Hub 3 performance is poor. My laptop on a table about 20' away in the same room with no obstructions receives a very bad signal.

The Green WiFi light continually flashes and has done for some time. I just keep putting up with the slow internet.

On a speed test it says about 8 mbps. I have the 100mb package.

My iphone put near the hub, 3-4' away, gets a very good signal.

The ethernet slots at the back of the hub are taken with the TV, BluRay, PS4 & Hue. I do not want to lay an ethernet cable across the floor to the laptop. This is not an option.

I 'phoned VM help (150). They were no help and just keep saying that there was no problem with my devices. They refused to offer any help.

I have, several times, rebooted everything to see if that works.

I requested a new Hub be sent to me as I think mine has an undetected fault.

How can I request another Hub to see if my straight line WiFi connection performance to my laptop improves as my Hub is faulty?

I have tried calling, no help. Can I request one online?

Thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 not performing

Try a factory reset ...

With the Hub Powered on use a paper clip or similar and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

Then

Carry out a speed test at speedtest.net using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other items connected. Post the results on here.

...........................................................................................................................

At the best of times Wi-Fi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi, basically all sorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system.

...........................................................................................................................

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it might not fix your problem but will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 not performing

delay in replying due to Toshiba Satellite laptop refusing to boot up.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the suggested way of doing things but still get the flashing Green WiFi light on the router and slow speeds.

I have now logged back in to all devices and reset them but nothing seems to work.

That is why I originally asked for a new router to be sent as the one I have may have an intermittent or a fault that does not show remotely.

How can i get Virgin Media to send me a new router as I am sure this is the problem?

I have telephoned them before but they kept telling me to rebooted the system and "everything looks okay from where we are".

Please can someone at Virgin Media just send me a new router to replace mine???

Many thanks,

Richard Kerswill

0 Kudos