Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 modem mode with Hub 2 as Router (Issues)

Hi, 

I have a Superhub 2 and 3, I’ve put the 3 into modem mode, connected the 2 and I get internet to my PC but I can’t connect to the admin panel (192.168.0.1), but when I connect via my phone I can but not to the internet. That’s basically the opposite of the PC. This leads to a few questions. 

1) Are these even compatible? 
2) If they are, how do I set them up so they work properly without whatever conflict is happening.

Thanks for any help you can give. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 modem mode with Hub 2 as Router (Issues)

In Modem Mode you connect to the Hub 3 at 192.168.100.1

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

In that configuration the hub 2 isn't acting as a router it is just acting as a switch, so only a single device will be registered with the hub 3 as a modem, you need to use the hub 3 in router mode and then that will work. See the following as this will get it resolved taken from https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-Hub-used-as-an-access-point/td-p/3074... from another community member.

"1) Connect your spare SH by Ethernet to a PC/Laptop. Best not to be online to the other SH when doing this. In the background, the spare SH will be crying out via the arrow light for its DOCSIS connection. Ignore that.

2) Go into the spare SH GUI settings (192.168.0.1) and turn off all Firewall functions.

3) In the GUI, set up your wireless SSIDs and behaviours as you would want them to be. Consider keeping a common WiFi password across the wireless estate.

4) In the GUI, turn DHCP OFF. Set the LAN IP address of the spare SH to be 192.168.0.254. IIRC, there is a quirk whereby you need to set the ending IP address as well to something silly like 192.168.0.253. Comeback to us if there is a difficulty when you do this. Apply the changes. While the spare SH is faffing with the changes, your connection to it will be disrupted and the spare SH will still be frantically looking for DOCSIS! When that settles down, switch the spare SH off and disconnect from it.

5) Now connect your laptop/pc into the main SH (which is still connected to the Internet) and set the ending IP address to 192.168.0.253 (if not already so). Apply the setting.

6) Connect a LAN port on the spare SH to a LAN port on the main SH. You can do this by direct Ethernet cable or Powerline if the AP is going into another room.

7) Switch the spare SH on and it should work straight away. It will be GUI accessible via 192.168.0.254."

This should resolve the problem.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah, thanks so much for that detailed response. A follow up question is... doesn’t that make the whole point of using another  router to mitigate the problems with the hub3 a bit pointless or is the fact it only has one thing requesting traffic from it enough? Would it just be better if I got another router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you are using a 3rd party router then no, but using a 2nd Virginmedia hub will not work like that it isnt a pure router which allows more complex adjustments, as the device will still try and route the traffic down the  coaxial connection that is built into the firmware of the hub and cannot be changed.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

An excellent and comprehensive guide from @DJ_Shadow1966 for you there! 

Be aware that whilst this is a free solution, the quality of wifi from ISP hubs is usually poor (particularly with VM hubs), so you will get wider coverage with your plan, but the two wifi signals won't work seamlessly like a mesh wifi system, and sometimes such configurations look like they should work, but throw up peculiar performance issues.  Also, the Hub 2 is still trying to find a cable signal, so the modem side remains active, and will use a lot more power than a dedicated router or access point.  The difference in energy use is only about £7 each year, but that's still £7 towards the cost of a router or mesh system.  But give it a try, see if it does what you want - you'll learn a lot simply by doing this.

If you're prepared to spend the money, £90 on a TP-LInk Deco M4 mesh is a far superior solution (other makes, models and prices are available).  I've tried using ISP hubs as access points, with very mixed results, and eventually went with the Deco M4.  I haven't regretted it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@JamesDaFlames wrote:

Ah, thanks so much for that detailed response. A follow up question is... doesn’t that make the whole point of using another  router to mitigate the problems with the hub3 a bit pointless or is the fact it only has one thing requesting traffic from it enough? Would it just be better if I got another router?

YES😁

...and get one with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@JamesDaFlames the best thing is to think of the VM Hub as actually being three (arguably four) separate 'black boxes' but all contained in one unit. Firstly is the DOCSIS cable modem, the thing which talks to VM's network infrastructure and basically makes the internet connection. The output from this is passed to the router, the component which allows more than one device to connect to the internet using only one physical connection, and lastly is the wifi access point - the function of which is fairly self-explanatory. 

The VM hub is a perfectly usable cable modem, a reasonable router (as long as you don't try to do anything much more than basic connectivity) but the wifi rarely seems to give a decent result, hence the often-repeated advice here to provide your own solution for this.

You absolutely cannot replace the VM Hub in it's entirety since you have to have the cable modem component and VM won't allow anything other than their own equipment to be connected, but what you can do is to put the hub into 'modem mode' which disables the routing and wifi features. Where your initial attempt failed was because although the Hub2 is a router, it can only route traffic between the ethernet ports and the cable input, since that wasn't connected, you basically didn't have anything providing the routing features - as mentioned above.

Your Hub 2 could be made to server just as a wifi-access point either replacing the wifi provision from the Hub 3 (but why bother it certainly won't be any better), or augmenting it by putting the Hub 2 in a different location and running ethernet between it and the 3 - again as detailed above.

What you can't do (and I wasn't sure from your last post if that was what you were asking) is remove the Hub 3 completely, it has to stay to provide the cable modem function.