Menu
steverosetti
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 issues with WiFi

Hi there, I've been issues with my router for several months.

I cannot get to talk to anyone in support and always get sent back to the same support page on your website. I've tried to get in touch and am getting frustrated with the lack of support.

The router is several years old and the wifi keeps dropping out and devices will not connect unless I reboot the router.

I have logged on and performed a network test and it tells me I need to move devices closer to the router. This is not possible with certain devices that are located around the house.

When the router was first installed I did not have any problems getting wifi signal in the whole of my house.

Can this issue be sorted asap please? My router is several years old so it may need replacing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 issues with WiFi

What Hub model is it?

It may be fine - after all your wifi environment is vastly different to what it was a year ago with masses of people using wifi during the day/evening at home - i.e. you may just have wifi interference issues.

Do you have any similar issues on a device connected on an ethernet cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
steverosetti
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

it is a hub 3

0 Kudos
steverosetti
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I dont understand why a device e.g phone or ipad will only connect after I have rebooted the hub.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It will refresh the network connection and might provide a window for it to connect and then with time drop out.

You could try this and see if it helps

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.