Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 intermittent

My hub 3 has in the region of 35 connections.   I’m on VM’s 500 meg speed and on a number of occasions achieve this speed on my WiFi and mac/TVs which are on power line adapters. Problem I have is the internet will suddenly and briefly cut out on both WiFi and PL adapters. VM engineer changed the router and at 1st this worked but after 2 weeks problem came back and is getting worse. I’m wondering if router is overloaded and I should buy a nest but don’t want to fork out £250 if it won’t work.  Any ideas and best nest please

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 intermittent

What is your connection like using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I’ve never tried that and it would be difficult because of the layout.  However given the problem is on WiFi as well as power line adapters, would this make a difference?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

35 is quite a bit for the hub to handle 🙂

Post the Network, Upstream and Downstream logs from the hubs admin pages please

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi connections can drop due to interference in the air. Microwaves are one of the biggest problems, and they can even be next door. 

Powerline adapters can drop their connections due to interference in your houses cabling. For example, an active washing machine can cause random disconnections, as can various other devices that contain motors or heating elements. Even your fridge/freezer plays a part. 

The only way of ruling such disconnections out is to use a cable between the router and the device requiring internet access. 

0 Kudos