Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 in modem mode with Apple extreme

Hi everyone

I have an ongoing problem with wifi so decided to post this query.

My new hub 3.0 was giving poor wifi coverage in parts of the house in router mode (blame WFH!) so I switched to modem mode and connected an airport extreme with 2no. expresses to cover the dead spots at the far ends of the house.

All ok to start with but now wifi speed is down by 90% causing real problems. What's the secret to connecting this way? VM say its all fine from there end suggesting a clash/ problem with the hub to extreme connection or the apple wifi iteslf.

I've always found the apple extreme/ express to be reliable in the past.

Do need to use a certain port for the ethernet connection on the hub?

(Airport utility wireless diagnostics have suggested everything from clashing country codes to wifi channel congestion) A few screen shots of my set up/ speed. below. Any help or advice much appreciated!

thanks Andy

02.jpg03.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 in modem mode with Apple extreme

Looks exactly like my connection 🙂

Only difference is I have a SH2 in modem mode - not a Hub3. When in modem mode the Hub3 only has one "live" ethernet port - the one the Extreme is connected to.

What devices are you connecting to over wifi and ethernet?

Was that speedtest on wifi or ethernet connection?

What package are you on - looks like the 100Mbps one? First thing I would do is swap the ethernet cables for new Cat6 solid cores ones and see if that helps.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 43
Flag for a moderator

I too used an Extreme previously and had no problems. Only thing other that the cables, as mentioned by John, is the VM hub in modem mode, this would work if it’s in router mode, but you would get double NAT among other things. Is the speed test via cable into the Extreme or via WiFi? If not, is the WiFi connected to the Extreme or one of the other nodes. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John
I didn't realise only one ethernet port was live, which one? I assumed all 4 yellow ports could be used, we also have an ethernet conn to the VM tivo box but that is all.
Wifi is 3x laptops , 3iPhones iPad and a Sonos system.

The speedtest was via wifi to laptop.
Yes I'm on the 100MB package.
I'll try the cable swap and see what happens/ let you know!

Many thanks
Andy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for your reply!
Yes the hub is in modem mode, ethernet wired connection to the first node - the airport extreme. The two expresses are connected by wifi (extend an existing network setting)
The speedtest was via wifi.

thanks for your suggestions.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Get a simple unmanaged >> switch << and put that directly after the airport extreme to give you more ethernet ports.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 43
Flag for a moderator

On the Hub3, the one you plug the cable into becomes live - i.e. it doesnt matter.

As all was working fine and isnt now, and you have changed nothing - I would change the cable fist - but also test the speed on one of the laptops that you plug into the extreme with a known good Cat5e cable or better and see what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike
Why would I need/ want extra ports plugged into the extreme? Sorry not sure what you are suggesting. I'm trying to improve the wifi so cabling all the way upstairs is not an option!
cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi John
To be honest it's been hit and miss ever since we got the new hub in the summer.
We have 2 cables plugged into the hub; 1 for the extreme and 1 for the tivo box.
which cable is better cat 5 or 6?

cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 43
Flag for a moderator

@an1063 wrote:
Hi John
To be honest it's been hit and miss ever since we got the new hub in the summer.
We have 2 cables plugged into the hub; 1 for the extreme and 1 for the tivo box.
which cable is better cat 5 or 6?

cheers

If the hub is is modem mode you should only have one cable connected going to the Extreme.

Any other cables devices need to come from the Extreme. 

Are you sure you’re in modem mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi