Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub_3 factory reset, now cant connect secondary router with separate address & password.

Good morning all. Firstly I apologise as I am hopeless with tech. I have a hub 3 upstairs due to security cameras & another wired router running from this with its own address & password for downstairs. One of my family has done a factory reset & now on my devices I am just getting a 'not in range' message. If anyone could help I would be very grateful & please only use simple words as I have very little idea when it comes to tech😁. Many thanks, Ian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub_3 factory reset, now cant connect secondary router with separate address & password.

So what make and model is your second router? I am assuming this is actually doing your routing and not the Hub - correct?

Is the Hub3 now in normal router mode after the pinhole reset (it will revert to that by default after a pinhole) and so.. do you now need to revert it to modem mode (assuming thats what it was in before) so that your second router is doing the routing.

You cannot use 2 working routers on one connection as it gives all sorts of issues.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub_3 factory reset, now cant connect secondary router with separate address & password.

Hi John, I'm sorry I think I've explained it wrong, posted straight after a night shift lol.What I've got is the router upstairs so it can connect to security cameras & a wired extender rather than a router which has a seperate name & password so that it covers the part of the house that the router can't (As for some reason it is in storage cupboard). I wondered whether it was split with the 2.4ghz covering cameras & one area & 5ghz split to cover the rest of the house? It's a restored house & an odd set up but that is how the electrician set it up when the work was done I believe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok - if the Hub was factory reset any changes you had done have been lost as it reverted to "factory".

So any split SSID's will have gone as wiil have disabling channel optimisation. Both your frequencies 2.4/5 are now on the one SSID - same as that on the Hub sticker and their password is also revverted to the other password on the Hub sticker. So if it was split/renamed then all of your wifi devices will need reconnecting to the new SSID name and password. Unfortunately you cant select 2.4 or 5 as now the Hub is doing that for you. This is fine in theory - but it does cause a lot of problems for certain wifi devices - hence the reason for separating them.

If thats the issue then you need to go into the Hub settings and rename them and passwords to what they were before the reset (or whatever you want differently) and disable channel optimisation.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That is brilliant thank you so much, I will try this shortly & I have found a you tube tutorial on it too so hopefully I should be ok but I will let you know. I am very grateful for you insightful help John, very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some Mickey Mouse written instructions for you.

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mike, I shall follow your instructions & hopefully sort it out, I shall let you  know how I get on . Your help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos