cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 ethernet switch issue

carms7r
Tuning in

Hi there,

My LG OLED55G26LA doesn't want to connect to the internet through my Hub 3 ethernet in modem mode - very grateful for any help or suggestions!

I have the Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear 300 unmanaged switch. The switch connects to a ASUS wifi router (which is in a central part of the house) and the LG TV which is next to the Hub 3 in our living room. The internet connection to the ASUS router works absolutely fine, but for some reason the LG TV doesn't want to connect to the internet through the ethernet.

I've tried other cables, and the TV works fine on wifi - but doesnt like the ethernet. What is even more perplexing is I've tried connecting the LG TV directly into Port1 of the Hub 3 - and it still doesn't work. Tried powering off the Hub3 and TV a few times, no joy. I am reluctant to turn the Hub3 back into router mode because of its poor security.

The TV says it is connected to a router - but it cannot find the DNS to connect to the internet.

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@carms7r wrote:

That’s exactly right: Hub - Switch - Router

But the puzzling part is even when I removed the switch and plugged the TV in directly to Port 1 of the Hub 3 it doesn’t work. 

I'm afraid this setup just will not work.  With the VM hub in modem mode, the only thing that can be connected to it is the WAN side of your ASUS router, now this could be directly connected or via an unmanaged switch in which case the switch is simply acting as a passive bridge (as Seph mentions above). But the only other thing that can be connected to this switch is the ASUS, you can't connect anything else to any of the other switch ports or directly to the VM hub other ports as they simply wouldn't work. 

In theory if you connected the LG to the hub (either directly or via the switch), then rebooted the hub, there's a good chance that the LG will pick up a public IP address and would seem to work perfectly, except then the ASUS wouldn't work.

Connecting the LG to the switch has put it on the wrong side (the WAN side) of the router and from there it can't connect to anything. It needs to be connected to the LAN side of the ASUS, effectively that what it is doing when connected over WiFi but to get it connected over ethernet, may well require you to run additional cables.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Which ASUS router, please? Sounds like there is a setup mismatch between router and TV. That would then be a matter of checking the LG settings against the ASUS settings.

If other wired devices work off the ASUS, that sort of narrows it down to the LG.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the hub is in modem mode it needs to go immediately to the router then after the router you could put it back into a switch. It sounds like your connecting 

Hub-switch-router

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

He uses the switch as a passive bridge, JB, to get to a distant point in the house.  That should work unless there’s something intelligent about the Netgear 300.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

ASUS RT-AX 55. But as I say - the router works fine (both WiFi and wired connections) and this is in a central hallway in the house. 

The TV connects through the switch in the living room into the Hub3

Thank you for the swift replies! 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I agree it should work, but I've seen posts of exactly the same setup that did not work. The way around was VM hub ---> Router ----> switch.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

But the puzzling part is even when I removed the switch and plugged the TV in directly to Port 1 of the Hub 3 it doesn’t work. 

@carms7r wrote:

I'm afraid this setup just will not work.  With the VM hub in modem mode, the only thing that can be connected to it is the WAN side of your ASUS router, now this could be directly connected or via an unmanaged switch in which case the switch is simply acting as a passive bridge (as Seph mentions above). But the only other thing that can be connected to this switch is the ASUS, you can't connect anything else to any of the other switch ports or directly to the VM hub other ports as they simply wouldn't work. 

In theory if you connected the LG to the hub (either directly or via the switch), then rebooted the hub, there's a good chance that the LG will pick up a public IP address and would seem to work perfectly, except then the ASUS wouldn't work.

Connecting the LG to the switch has put it on the wrong side (the WAN side) of the router and from there it can't connect to anything. It needs to be connected to the LAN side of the ASUS, effectively that what it is doing when connected over WiFi but to get it connected over ethernet, may well require you to run additional cables.

Thank you! Yes that makes sense and I’ve misunderstood the role of the Modem and the Router.

Thank you for the help.