cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 dropping wireless and wired connections

tenchi_uk
On our wavelength

Dear All,

I've been helping troubleshoot my father-in-law's VM broadband service, he's been seeing intermittent dropouts of up to half an hour on wired and wireless connections at his place
for a few months now.

Trouble shooting steps so far taken :-
1) replaced old Hub 2 with Hub 3 from VM - no improvement
2) engineer callout, replaced splitter and all connectors attached coming into the property and replaced surge arrestor and filter between that and the Hub 3 - no improvement
3) got line placed on 24 hours monitoring - no improvement - see below for VM feedback

Monitoring was performed throughout via Cacti which is an enterprise ping/SNMP client monitoring tool.

The explanation I now have from VM is that due to a few devices having poor signal the Hub is restarting services to try and reconnect and improve the wifi connectivity taking down wired and external connectivity in the process, the only improvement will be by placing some boosters and trying to improve the signal and thus stability.

This doesn't sit well as to howcomes a router (the Hub 3) would completely reset if the wireless signal to a device it's connected to drops/becomes poor. I don't see this with my own VM Hub 3...
In all the years I've been in IT I've never heard of this as a practise - rebooting all the router's connections due to poor wifi signal, apparently this is the same for BT and EE according to VM ?

Can anyone confirm this is how the Hub 3 should function please ?

Next troubleshooting steps to do will be ask my father-in-law to do without wireless for a couple of days and wire all essential services like his TiVo box via ethernet and see if I get the same results. Failing that dump the VM Hub into modem mode and put in my own router/wireless solution for him...

Many thanks,

Neil

31 REPLIES 31

Hello could you please share how you added the VM Hub CACTI. 

tenchi_uk
On our wavelength

Hi,

If you’re using Cacti to try and monitor the VM Hub about all you can look at is ping latency as the Hub has no SNMP options, you can use the generic SNMP device template but switch off the SNMP. It’s also better to monitor the WAN side of the Hub from another location. From inside I’d suggest monitoring the WAN port’s def gateway to get a picture of what’s going on.

I’d suggest taking a look on the www.cacti.net site at the forums there for detailed Cacti help.

Cheers.

PS The horror story with my FIL’s is finally over although the cable pull didn’t actually go as well as we originally thought, the cable pull team didn’t bother bringing the phone line in so we had an octogenarian living on his own for three months thinking he had a safe backup of a landline only to find it wasn’t working… during rectification of that issue it was also discovered the cable pull team never configured the new run to the Hub to the best specs either… what a mess…

We did get some financial recompense for all the hassle but I’m no longer sure I would recommend VM after the rock solid performance and service I had been receiving also went down the pan during a package change - VM doesn’t appear to talk properly to O2 if you go between the two for your mobile package.