Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 dropping wired connections & what are my options in modem mode?

I've been having problems for a couple of years with losing connections and not really analysed it much until now.  I did get a new Hub 3, but I still have issues.  I have to reboot everything regularly.

Current situation:

Hub3 with wired connections to Hive, Sonos, TV and BT WholeHome.  These connections drop off very regularly - often more than hourly.  I've read in some posts that switching to modem mode should help.

Hub3 is not in modem mode, so presumably it is conflicting with the WholeHome set up.   When I switched it over to modem, I got no internet at all through the WholeHome.  I have seen in other posts a particular sequence which might sort this, but what can I do about my wired connections?  I believe these will no longer work through the Hub3 - none of them worked when I tried it in modem mode.

The WholeHome discs have a single ethernet port in the back, which I presume to be an 'in' but I don't know what I am talking about..  The disc where I need to plug everything in is connected by ethernet to the Hub3

I can't face calling Virgin about this, I don't have 6 hours to spare, so welcome any pointers!

Thank you

Paddy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 dropping wired connections & what are my options in modem mode?

Hello

In modem only mode only 1 Ethernet connection is active, once in modem only mode, connect ethernet cable to your Whole Home discs, power off the hub and Whole Home, power on the hub until the light stablise and then turn on the Whole home, then that should be all you need to do as the internet will be controlled the whole home discs.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike!

Part 2 of my issue is what do I then do about connecting my Hive, Sonos and TV via ethernet? Can I just add a switch between the Hub 3 and the WholeHome? This is the part that doesn't add up in my head, but maybe it is that simple..

There's only one port on the back of the WHoleHome disc which is connected to the Hub 3
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thats where becomes a problem as the hub will only every accept a single connection, as it only gives out one address when in modem only mode. the only solution would be to purchase your own router and place that before the Whole Home. A switch will not solve it.

You say wired is dropping when it drops what happens to the lights on the router.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok, that makes sense re the router. I'll have to check on the lights when it drops. I've not actually looked at that. I'm not home again until next week, so it will take me a while to come back on that. I might just order a router in the meantime so I can try that out.

To have reliable connections again would be life changing!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I know that feeling myself due to issues I am at home pretty much all the time so rely on my connection to keep in touch with work etc.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hope your issues are not treating you too badly. Sounds like you're likely to be able to sort connection issues like a champ.

All my parties have been ruined recently by the Sonos connection being dropped. There's nothing worse!

Any considerations I need to take into account for a wired router? I've done some quick investigations and currently looking at this one

UBIQUITI Networks EdgeRouter X 5 Ports Gigabit LAN/WAN Router

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-EdgeRouter-Gigabit-Router/dp/B011N1IT2A/ref=sxbs_sxwds-st...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

There are some really good tp-link around, what you need is basically at least 4 gigabit lan ports, wireless dual band 2.4ghz / 5 Ghz but as you have the WHole Home not really needed. Wow that edge router looks really nice.

Regards Mike

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mike. I really appreciate your speedy and knowledgeable responses. I have spent so much time trying to work out what to do and what my problem is. I'll get myself a router, switch to modem mode and report back next week when I am home.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello

No problems I am always around about.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos