Menu
Highlighted
zachwg
Just joined
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 downstairs, plusnet hub one wireless router upstairs

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me for any inaccuracies or confusion i'm new to this. 

I currently have a hub 3.0 downstairs in the lounge set up working as a normal router, that my devices are connected to wirelessly. from my previous house i have a plusnet hub one router. 

Upstairs in my gaming room the wireless connectivity experiences large lag spikes and slower connection. 

the idea is to plug the plusnet hub one router upstairs into the mains and have it communicate wirelessly with the hub 3 downstairs to extend the wifi range, providing better coverage upstairs. ideally ethernet cables would be run from the plusnet hub one into my gaming consoles, however i understand when setting up the second router i may not be able to run the ethernet cables from the router?

is this possible with the routers i've got, ive done some research into wireless bridging and think that may be the answer but could be wildly wrong. 

thanks for any help anyone can offer! 

Zach

0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 downstairs, plusnet hub one wireless router upstairs

Not going to work your plusnet hub one router is not a connecting client.

You should run wire to the upstairs would be best or buy a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@zachwg wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me for any inaccuracies or confusion i'm new to this. 

I currently have a hub 3.0 downstairs in the lounge set up working as a normal router, that my devices are connected to wirelessly. from my previous house i have a plusnet hub one router. 

Upstairs in my gaming room the wireless connectivity experiences large lag spikes and slower connection. 

the idea is to plug the plusnet hub one router upstairs into the mains and have it communicate wirelessly with the hub 3 downstairs to extend the wifi range, providing better coverage upstairs. ideally ethernet cables would be run from the plusnet hub one into my gaming consoles, however i understand when setting up the second router i may not be able to run the ethernet cables from the router?

is this possible with the routers i've got, ive done some research into wireless bridging and think that may be the answer but could be wildly wrong. 

thanks for any help anyone can offer! 

Zach

Welcome to the forum, and don’t worry, we were all new to this once upon a time.

Now in principle you are right, what you are talking about is a wifi - Ethernet bridge, where I think you may be getting confused is you can sometime hear about putting the Plusnet router in ‘bridge mode’, but that refers to bridging the WAN and LAN interfaces - basically turning off all of the router and wifi features and using it just as a modem, to which you connect your own equipment.

The question is can we configure the Plusnet router to be a wifi extender, ie pickup the wifi signal from the the VM Hub and rebroadcast it, and I think the answer to that is no alas. If you do want to go down that route though, then I’d suggest looking for a true wireless extender with Ethernet ports which should do what you want.

However, and this is a bit of a downer I’m afraid, wifi range extenders only really work if they have a good signal from the router to start with, if you are already having wifi issues upstairs then having an extender there isn’t really going to help much, you would really want it about half way between (probably not very practical), and because of the way they work, you will always take a big hit on speed and latency - not what you want if gaming!

So couple of options

Powerline adapters, not hopeful myself though, never, ever give the speed as stated, also suffer from running in half duplex mode so speed hits, susceptible to mains interference and your upstairs and downstairs are probably on different mains rings which can make them even more problematic.

Ethernet, by far the best option if there is any chance of running a cable from the Hub, upstairs and connecting it to a cheap gigabit switch? Plug your PC or console into the switch and even get a wifi access point plugged in to provide wifi upstairs (there is a chance you could even use the Plusnet router for this with a bit of reconfiguring)

Own router, as stated above, you get your own wifi router, maybe one of those weird spidery-looking ones with all the antennae sticking out. Put the VM Hub in modem mode which disables all the routing and wifi functions, connect it to your new router and allow it to do all these functions. Almost certain to have better wifi performance all over the house.

Meshed Wifi access points, this is a sort of half-way house, you turn off the wifi on the Hub, connect one of the mesh access points directly to it and put others around the house to suit, something like the BT Whole Home Wifi (other meshed access point systems are available).

Unfortunately, you are going to have to spend some money.

Best wishes

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LEEEVANS69
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hope this is ok to tag on the end.

Can I use the Plusnet hub one with the virgin hub 3 (in modem mode) or is this not possible? Or is the hub one to slow for virgin speeds?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Doubt it since the plusnet is designed to work via telephone line aka ADSL, with virginmedia via cable, as said by others can buy a wireless access point 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LEEEVANS69
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It was FTTC then the bt lines

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well depends if the wan port on the plusnet ethernet or rj11, and if can change connection method on router to dynamic rather than e.g. pppoe

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You should be able to use the Plusnet as a wireless access point by setting it up in a LAN to LAN configuration, which will require an Ethernet cable to connect the Plusnet to the hub by their LAN ports.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
LEEEVANS69
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to update I was sent the set of boosters and they sorted the black spots 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are gaming upstairs the only real answer is a Cat5e/6 cable, WiFi is useless for what you want to do as it is effectively half duplex. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2