cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 dead - losing connection

Courierthebold
Joining in

My hub 3 keeps losing internet connection, every other day it drops internet though the WiFi is still running internally.

I suspect the modem in the hub is failing and reported this.

I've had TWO engineers onsite who double checked all the cables, signal strength etc and left as everything seemed fine.

VM's online help tools are worse than useless as they just keep a loop of telling me to turn it off and on again.

I had to post on your Facebook page to get ANY response.

This is utterly unacceptable.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

83 REPLIES 83

Hi Courierthebold,

In that case, I would like to take ownership of this complaint, and hopefully we can get this issue resolved for you. Please reply to my Private Message whenever you are able, and we can discuss this further.

Thanks,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Hi Courierthebold,

Apologies for my lack of response to your private message, I'm currently communicating with the Field Manager in your area to discuss the next steps in getting your issue resolved - as I said in my message, I'll be in touch once I receive an update for you. Thank you for your patience, I'm sure that I'll have an update for you shortly.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Hi,

Really? The "I'm escalating this to the area manager and we'll get back you shortly" line again this week?

I don't believe you anymore.

Same as last week.

Same as the week before that.

And the week before that.

Hi.

Me again. I'm STILL having outages. Lots of them.

Still not a word from you.

I thought I'd give you another (more than) two weeks to investigate and get back to me.

But once again, nothing.

I've been compiling a log of every outage on my line since the beginning of June and every message to and from VM to present as evidence and it really does not look good.

So far it's messages telling me you're very sorry. Most of those asking me previously answered questions. Most of them telling me someone will get back to me shortly.

No-one EVER gets back to me - unless I post on here asking what the hell is going on, and then I get a "I will take ownership of this and someone will get back to you". No-one ever does.

I'm now just waiting for the 8 weeks from my initial complaint (C-080721485) so I can take you to the ombudsman as you very clearly have ZERO interest in fixing this without being forced by the regulator.

Hi @Courierthebold thanks for getting back to us. 

We've had a look from here and still cannot find anything that explains the service you're describing. Would you please set up another BQM?  And post the results after 24 hours?

Regards

Lee_R

What?

Set up another BQM that will show the exact same outages and packet loss?

Why?

Is the BQM that's been running since 1st June not good enough?

Are the connection logs I've been keeping for the past couple of months something you're not interested in?

I'll happily add another BQM if it'll help actually FIX this issue and you can justify why it's needed.

Today's BQM.

16/08

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e2655f3e72d6204646bb970db56463ed7b...

15/08

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ec5076ef0ec88ca5f5294fd267bd20278a...

14/08

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6b8f5cb13dde1845eaee1a79cc07512df5...

This thread is littered with BQM graphs I've published and some of my own log data.

Ask me for the data if you need it. Call me if you have a question about my LAN or setup.

Please don't just ask me to set up another BQM that also won't get looked at, I'm very tired of being asked to do things that I've done over and over and that still haven't fixed the problem.

Hi there @Courtierthebold

Thanks for coming back to us. I can see my colleague has replied to you via PM.

Please could you reply to that and we can proceed.

Thank you. 

@Courierthebold well this is just getting nowhere fast isn’t it? You need to assume that VM are unwilling or unable to fix the issue you have and start looking around for an alternative supplier. Yes you probably won’t get anything else with such a high headline speed, but ask yourself if you realistically need it and is a slower but more reliable (and probably lower latency) connection preferable.

The BQM’s are always problematic, contrary to popular belief, a block of red or even a thin red line does not necessary mean that the connection has dropped, only that the hub failed to respond to an ICMP request - which, I expect you already know, can have a number of reasons, including the annoying fact that the hubs sometimes do this for no obvious good reason (well other than shoddy firmware or course). To that end, they’re not as good a diagnostic tool as you might think.

Are you still in the minimum term contract? If not then I’d investigate alternative suppliers, sign up and give notice to VM today. If you still are in the minimum term then I’d still investigate other suppliers and there are steps you can take to avoid paying early termination fees, and also probably a small amount of compensation for your inconvenience.

Having replaced the hub and checked the cable connections, I’m suspecting a failing amp in the street cabinet or a dodgy joint in it or even in the cable run to your house which disconnects whenever a lorry goes past and shakes it.