cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 dead - losing connection

Courierthebold
Joining in

My hub 3 keeps losing internet connection, every other day it drops internet though the WiFi is still running internally.

I suspect the modem in the hub is failing and reported this.

I've had TWO engineers onsite who double checked all the cables, signal strength etc and left as everything seemed fine.

VM's online help tools are worse than useless as they just keep a loop of telling me to turn it off and on again.

I had to post on your Facebook page to get ANY response.

This is utterly unacceptable.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

83 REPLIES 83

Hi.

I've still heard nothing. No contact, no call, no email and not even a reply on this forum.

This is not how tech support is supposed to work and as someone who started his career in IT support this is now making me angry..

This is the equivalent of leaving a customer on hold for over a month! Not good enough.

Outages are still occurring though the frequency of them has gone back to one every 3-4 days. I don't know if that is the result of someone adjusting my config as NO-ONE is telling me anything!

I had a visit from the last VM engineer - who popped by in his own time to ask if the problem had been resolved. I told him I've been waiting for over two weeks for a reply on the forum post that should let me know if a manager is now maybe aware of my issue. That's all I have.

Can someone please DO something?

Hi @Courierthebold

I am so sorry that you have not heard back from us yet regarding this issue, apologies for any anger or frustration caused.

Just to clarify, there are no notes to say that your config has been adjusted. I'm glad to hear that the issue is no longer occuring every day at least, but I understand this is still not ideal. When the outages happen, how long are you unable to connect for at the moment?

I have chased up the Area Field Manager for a response, and double checked your account and everything is looking healthy from our end of things.

If you wish to make a complaint about the time it is taking to get this issue resolved, please visit https://virg.in/comcop

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi.

Yesterdays' outage.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8beeaf4c0c2f624b8792b1848314a8ac8c...

Tuesday's outage.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/56f95350ac883b3133695c1db596334025...

Previous Outage.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cb7c39bb75e17aec15e248c449267b0c01...

The frequency of outages has no pattern, it started as once a week then increased to daily - now it seems to be every 2-3 days.

The incidents are the same though. We suddenly lose ALL WAN connectivity (ie: every device loses external internet connection) but the local LAN/WiFi is still operating and local PC's and devices can see each other on the network. I then reboot the hub and WAN connectivity is restored.

It's now been FIVE months of outages, and over a month since this was "escalated" and I was promised someone would post here with an update.

Since then, nothing but silence.

No-one is getting back to me despite my weekly reminders that this problem still exists. All I get is an apology for not responding and more questions I have already answered over and over and over again.

I am now beginning a formal complaint procedure as this is clearly not being actioned.

Regards.

Hi Courierthebold,

I am sorry to hear you've still been experiencing issues with the connection, 

So I can take a closer look at the account and complaint I've popped you over a private message to get a few more details from you (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

I've just spent 40 minutes on the phone with an agent in your call centre.

1. As far as the call centre was concerned, my five month ongoing issue was reported as fixed.

2. NO escalation of this issue was found on my account. So what the hell is going on?

Why are people on this forum telling me it's been escalated to an area manager, and chased.... but there has been zero response and there is NO mention anywhere on my account?

3. A complaint has been raised via your complaints department, but I was told not to expect a response for a MONTH.

4. I now require an appropriate response within 7 days, if I do not get a response I will raise this with OFCOM.

Courierthebold
Joining in

Here is today's BQM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/19fa632d0d0482b47442922ea782e7958c...

As you can see,

Total packet loss today since 2am. However, although the WAN is still connected and we have internet at the moment we are expecting another outage as this is part of the pattern.

1. Everything is fine after a hub reboot.

2. BQM detects huge packet loss.

3. Outage occurs randomly sometime after. All WAN connectivity is lost.

4. Reboot hub to restore connection.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Courierthebold,

Apologies that you have not heard back from us in a short while. I can see that Alex has emailed the area field manager for you and we have sent copies of your BQM links over as well.

We will get this chased again for you today. Looking from our end we have checked all the levels and they are fine, there are no SNR or area faults affecting.

As soon as we have any response we will post back.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi.

Firstly, it's not that I "haven't heard in a while".

This issue was reported 5 months ago. I posted here three months ago (after resorting to posting on your facebook page to try and get support) and two months ago I was promised this would be escalated and dealt with. I still haven't heard from anyone! No ticket or escalation number, no name or contact detail.....nothing. Silence.

Every post from someone at VM here says the same thing. "We're sorry for the delay. Everything looks good from here, someone will contact you shortly".

This issue was originally reported in MARCH! We have been experiencing outages daily for FIVE MONTHS with NO support!

Nothing looks "good" from here when we have to reboot the hub sometimes 3 times every day in order to have working internet.

No-one has contacted me.

A few questions:

1) The more recent BQM shows protracted instances of 100% packet loss, meaning no connection at all.  Is that really true, for example 10/7 you had no internet connection all day?  Might be worth checking your current IP address is the same as the one used to setup the BQM, because although VM IP addresses are pretty sticky, they can and do change.

2) When the hub was replaced, did a new coax cable get used between the wall and the hub?  Reason for asking is that the complete loss of connection could be explained by a broken coax core, but normally a reboot wouldn't fix that unless when you reboot it you're moving the hub and thus flexing the coax.

3) What does the hub's network log show?  Copy the lot and paste it here, first time you post it will generate an odd error, just press "post" again - that's caused as the forum software redacts IP and MAC addresses.

4) When you lose internet what happens with the base LED on the hub?

4) Anything unusual about your domestic setup or hub settings, such as locked IP addresses, or devices configured to use specific DNS, web filtering or VPN?  Are there any recent Dell devices connected?