cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 dead - losing connection

Courierthebold
Joining in

My hub 3 keeps losing internet connection, every other day it drops internet though the WiFi is still running internally.

I suspect the modem in the hub is failing and reported this.

I've had TWO engineers onsite who double checked all the cables, signal strength etc and left as everything seemed fine.

VM's online help tools are worse than useless as they just keep a loop of telling me to turn it off and on again.

I had to post on your Facebook page to get ANY response.

This is utterly unacceptable.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

83 REPLIES 83

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

How are wired connections behaving in comparison?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi.

All internet connectivity is lost.

Wired and wireless.

Every other day, requiring at least two reboots.

Hi @Courierthebold

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding the connection problems you are experiencing. I am so sorry to hear that your connection keeps dropping and that you are having to reboot twice a day.

Please can you perform a Pinhole reset on your Hub for me, following these exact instructions:

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Remember to write down any passwords before doing this as it will restore your Hub to factory settings.

Let me know how things are working after this,

Best wishes,

Serena

Hi.

I suppose I'd better list everything I've already done over and over.

I've rebooted the hub repeatedly. The connection is restored until the next time it fails.

I have factory reset the hub FOUR times. No change.

I have had TWO engineers on-site. No change.

Wired and wireless connectivity loses internet access, but the local network remains active.

• Best regards

Hi @Courierthebold

Thanks for getting back to me and for all the details.

I am so sorry that your have tried all these things and had no luck.

I've taken a look at your account and there are currently no issues showing with your Hub or your connection.

Can you set up a BQM here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and share the results on here so we can see what is happening?

Thanks,

Serena

Hi.

Its working fine right now...because it's an intermittent issue.

I reboot it and it works fine for a few hours, maybe a day....and then it fails again and needs multiple reboots to get internet back.

Can you explain what purpose the BQM is for?

I have many network tools here and the site you referred me too keeps trying get me to install apps and sign up for services I don't want.

Best regards

A Broadband Quality Monitor will enable us to see the drops in connection when they occur.

As you are suffering from an intermittent issue, this is the best way for us to to see what is happening and when.

When I have taken a look at your account, there have been no issues showing. A BQM will allow for us to see what is happening over the course of time, I'd recommend giving it a go 🙂

Thanks,

Serena

dc68bf8e71313622b4d7da0e58b0892dec4a5058-01-06-2021.png

this is a view of today's outage.

Best regards.

Hi @Courierthebold,

Unfortunately I'm unable to see the image. Would it be possible for you to provide us with a link to the BQM that you've set up instead, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!