Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 auto reboot on loss of connection

Hi all,

Isn't it stupid that because there are faults in my area with the broadband, and the modem keeps losing connection, it keeps rebooting, who designed this device, some imbecile? The modem is also a router, I have other local devices connected to it, such as CCTVs, printers etcetera, and the stupid thing keeps making my LAN drop as it trys to connect, I am an IT engineer, and worked on many routers, non of them needs to reboot the entire device, and drop all the LAN connection to attempt reconnection, fix the firmware Virgin Media!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 auto reboot on loss of connection

I know this will come across as inflammatory, it isn't intended that way.  If you're an IT professional, why are you relying upon an ISP supplied router that a moment's consideration will tell you was specced and built to be as cheap as inhumanly possible?  If you want robust wifi, then spend the price of a month's coffee addiction on a respectable router or mesh wifi setup, as many round these parts have.

That won't solve any cable connection and reliability issues, but at least gets you better and more reliable wifi.  In some areas VM seem unable to provide reliable connections, and if that is the case for you and matters then the only answer is to tolerate it, or find another ISP.

It would certainly be nice if the hub had wifi that was both robust and competent, but that's never been the case yet, isn't the case with the Hub 4, and even that "latest and greatest" device is so low spec it can't put it's full speed capability through a single ethernet port, doesn't offer Wifi 6, and has a fine collection of teething issues and firmware faults.  As for firmware updates....yeah, they do come along, but many faults take several years to get fixed after they have been identified, and some never get fixed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I did buy the Asus Rog ac5300, a monster of a router I must say, but I wasn't happy with the fact that half of the features involved agreeing with the fact that Trend will receive any web request I make etcetera, I even have an account with Express VPN, which I have setup in the router, so it would cover my entire house, yet after further tests, the router would send my data to Trend even before I puts it through the VPN, if you disagree with the Trend terms and conditions, half of the router's feature, including the gaming ones, are disabled.

So the problem wasn't the money, or the fact that I "want" to rely on Virgin's crap router, but it's enough that them, Google, Facebook etcetera spy on me, I didn't need a peace of hardware that I actually own, to actually spy on me as well.

The cable connection in my area is good, problems are very rare, plus Virgin is the only one to provide 500mbps in my area, yesterday they have sent me the monthly statistics, I have used 765GB of data, and I am in the top 20% users in the country, I really wouldn't want to go back to a VDSL connection by changing ISP.

Also on my new OnePlus 8T 5Ghz WiFi band I get over 500mbps, and I get just over 200mbps when the VPN app is on.

Anyhow, if you know of any routers in the league of Asus Rog, that doesn't spy on every site you go on, and supports inbuilt VPN client, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Any other ASUS router that isn't ROG branded...?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not necessarily, take for example the Asus RT-AX88U, it still has the AIProtection, which uses Trend, and it's not a ROG router

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi MGenovese, 

Thank you for getting in touch and apologies for the delay in response.

I appreciate the original post is a few days old now but I just wanted to check in and see how things are with the service now as you mentioned an area issue? How have things been?

Nat
0 Kudos