Menu
Reply
Highlighted
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
217 Views
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 and work computer access

I've been working from home throughout lockdown using a work laptop (local government finance) with an AOVPN. This was all working fine until the last two weeks where I've had intermittent connection problems or repeated disconnecting. My work IT Helpdesk have assisted as best as they can and we have tried WiFi and wired connections, resetting the computer and the router and problem reoccurs, sometimes allowing connection other times no connection for hours at a time. As a result I'm falling further and further behind with work, logging back on in the evenings (when it works) to try and catch up. 

Latest work IT advice was to disable Advanced Network Error Search which I did and reset the router this morning but problems still occurring. IT have asked me to ask Virgin to factory reset the router in case any recent update could be the cause of my issues since they've only happened in the last few weeks. Am I able to do this without calling up Virgin Customer Services? I've been on the phone most of the day so would prefer if I could get advice without having to call up. Also, would this have an effect on my other devices? Every other device in the house is connected with minimal issue so I don't want to upset things if it's not necessary. 

 

Any advice greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2.25K
  • 165
  • 294
Superfast
201 Views
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access

Depending if you've manually changed any settings on the hub, like pausing acces during certain times, change the Wifi SSID, etc. you shouldn't see any difference once you've reset the HUB.

What version do you have?

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 14.28K
  • 591
  • 1.37K
Alessandro Volta
196 Views
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access

Put the hub in modem mode with only work laptop connected to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
196 Views
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access

I haven't changed the default SSID and password (both my son and I know it off by heart now 🙈

Where do I find what version? Assuming this is in the router/ settings? 

I'm not massively techy but I know how to login to the router settings etc - haven't changed anything here.

Had a Google, is it just pressing a pinhole reset on back of the device? If so I'll give it a go over dinner when kids won't complain about WiFi resetting *again* as I've switched it off and on a fair few times in an effort to get some work done 🙈

 

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
190 Views
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access


@legacy1 wrote:
Put the hub in modem mode with only work laptop connected to the hub.


Although this may be preferable to get work done, I then wouldn't be able to concentrate due to "bored" kids and teen if they weren't able to access WiFi. 

If all else fails I'm on list to have laptop swapped for a new one but I don't understand why no issues for so long and now intermittent problems. Work IT guys say majority of calls logged with them are Virgin customers....

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2.25K
  • 165
  • 294
Superfast
178 Views
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access


@groovysheep wrote:

I haven't changed the default SSID and password (both my son and I know it off by heart now 🙈

Where do I find what version? Assuming this is in the router/ settings? 

I'm not massively techy but I know how to login to the router settings etc - haven't changed anything here.

Had a Google, is it just pressing a pinhole reset on back of the device? If so I'll give it a go over dinner when kids won't complain about WiFi resetting *again* as I've switched it off and on a fair few times in an effort to get some work done 🙈

 


Yeah, the pinhole reset.

The only other change that will occur once you reset is the password to log into the HUB will revert to what's on the base. When you first sign it you will need to change it again (As well as set language).

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
174 Views
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access


  • @carl_pearce wrote:

    @groovysheep wrote:

    I haven't changed the default SSID and password (both my son and I know it off by heart now 🙈

    Where do I find what version? Assuming this is in the router/ settings? 

    I'm not massively techy but I know how to login to the router settings etc - haven't changed anything here.

    Had a Google, is it just pressing a pinhole reset on back of the device? If so I'll give it a go over dinner when kids won't complain about WiFi resetting *again* as I've switched it off and on a fair few times in an effort to get some work done 🙈

     


    Yeah, the pinhole reset.

    The only other change that will occur once you reset is the password to log into the HUB will revert to what's on the base. When you first sign it you will need to change it again (As well as set language).


    I use the password etc as is on the base anyway so will it just be like resetting it when switch it off at the wall then? I may wait and see how laptop connects after the weekend as(not back working til Tues now as it's a local Bank Hol)
  • IT were also going to restart the PC I access via remote desktop to see if this helped any. 
  • Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 2.25K
  • 165
  • 294
Superfast
169 Views
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access


@groovysheep wrote:

  • @carl_pearce wrote:

    @groovysheep wrote:

    I haven't changed the default SSID and password (both my son and I know it off by heart now 🙈

    Where do I find what version? Assuming this is in the router/ settings? 

    I'm not massively techy but I know how to login to the router settings etc - haven't changed anything here.

    Had a Google, is it just pressing a pinhole reset on back of the device? If so I'll give it a go over dinner when kids won't complain about WiFi resetting *again* as I've switched it off and on a fair few times in an effort to get some work done 🙈

     


    Yeah, the pinhole reset.

    The only other change that will occur once you reset is the password to log into the HUB will revert to what's on the base. When you first sign it you will need to change it again (As well as set language).


    I use the password etc as is on the base anyway so will it just be like resetting it when switch it off at the wall then? I may wait and see how laptop connects after the weekend as(not back working til Tues now as it's a local Bank Hol)
  • IT were also going to restart the PC I access via remote desktop to see if this helped any. 
  • Thanks for your help

Similar, however it's a full reset back to factory defaults.

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 3.24K
  • 135
  • 189
Forum Team
Forum Team
82 Views
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and work computer access

Thank you for the information Groovysheep.

 

We would recommend trying a pin hole reset at the back of the Hub.

 

Looking at our side of things there's no errors showing apart from some WiFi trouble. 

 

Can we please confirm what speeds you're subscribed to? 

 

Is the Hub out in the open, upright and away from other electrical devices to keep the signal clear.

 

We'd recommend forgetting the WiFi network on the devices you're experiencing some issues with, trying a wired connection following this and if WiFi is needed, reconnect the device at the part of the property this will be mostly used to ensure it's on the correct connection. If you have the 5Ghz connection with a separate log in please only connect devices closer to the Hub to this connection and further away the devices should connect to 2.4Ghz for a stable connection.

 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Reply