Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 and wifi mesh

I intend to fit a wifi mesh to my hub 3.  Never used a one before and I am not tech savvy.  If I fit the mesh to the hub 3 and activate it will I then have two systems, the hub 3 and the mesh?

If so, will I then have to have two passwords (one for mesh one for hub 3) and have my devices choose which one to use, and use the mesh or hub password to connect?

The main reason for fitting the mesh is to ensure my smart tv has a good connection to SKY Q and that I get rid of weaker wifi spots in the house, an old thick walled Edwardian semi with the virgin modem upstairs and the smart tv downstairs.

Simple answers appreciated please with little jargon.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and wifi mesh

You put the Virgin Hub into Modem mode by pointing a web browser to 192.168.0.1 entering the Setting password (if you haven't changed it you should find it printed on the hub) and setting Modem mode. The router unit of the mesh system then needs connecting to the hub via an ethernet cable (make sure you use the one and only one ethernet socket on the Virgin Hub that now works. 

If you want everything to just continue working configure your mesh system to have the exact same SSID and logon password as you used on the Virgin Hub when it was your router rather than just a modem.

If you haven't already bought a mesh system consider buying a tri-band one. They use a separate wifi channel to communicate with each other leaving you with the entire bandwidth of the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, that was too techy an answer.  I don't know modem modes, pointing at web browser, setting passwords router units, SSIDs etc. which is why I had requested a non - technical response.  I don' think you have answered the question I set either! Nonetheless, thanks for your keen efforts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Hub3 wifi performance is really poor so i invested in BT Whole wi-fi mesh(Twin white disk)

With most mesh kit you need visit Hub3 settings page via 192.168.0.1 and configure to "Modem Mode" .

However with the BT mesh you dont need to set the Hub3 to modem mode. Just go to settings and just disable the 2 wifi channels and you can still use the 3 spare LAN ports from the Hub3 for wired connections.

But the internet service from Virgin has been so unreliable lately even a mesh cant really improve things

0 Kudos