forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
lee8796
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 & Deco M4

Hi All - Read plenty of posts about this but wanted some advice on my specific scenario before purchasing any hardware...

Current Setup

Virgin 200MB & Hub 3.0 (Kitchen) 

Sky Q 2TB (Living Room)

Sky Q Mini (bedroom 1)

Sky Q Mini (Bedroom 2)

Home Office (Bedroom 3).

3 Bed Semi detached and although the house isn't big I struggle with drop outs mainly in bedrooms 1 & 3 so was looking to purchase the deco m4 (3 pack). Read loads about the configuration of these and how to get sky q minis to connect to the deco mesh network so wanted to see if anyone had this working well and what their setup is. A lot appear to be hard wiring all sky q boxes which won't work for me unless I purchase 4 but seems overkill.

My plan:

Switch Hub 3 to modem mode & connect main deco unit.

Place 2nd Deco unit next to main Sky q box, turn off wifi and hardwire.

Place 3rd deco unit upstairs to allow better connections (can the mini boxes connect ok this way?).

Anyone with any tips, suggestions solutions etc?

Thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 & Deco M4

@lee8796 wrote:

My plan:

Switch Hub 3 to modem mode & connect main deco unit.

Place 2nd Deco unit next to main Sky q box, turn off wifi and hardwire.

Place 3rd deco unit upstairs to allow better connections (can the mini boxes connect ok this way?).

I think the 2nd point is the critical one - by default, Sky Q creates and communicates over its own mesh - as i understand it, if you hardwire the main unit it forces the minis to communicate over the main wireless network..  i don't own any sky q hardware though, so others will probably have a more informed view..

0 Kudos
LGD123
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 & Deco M4

Hi, i'm no expert but have sky q and virgin Hub 4 (but only one mini box).  I recently got some advice from here and ending up purchasing the deco x20 mesh which has worked amazingly well and was super easy to set up. Not particularly big house but suffered with drop out all the time and no signal to our tv at end of long kitchen.  The X20 comes as a pack of three from Currys.

I understand there is an issue with sky q and its own network.  The way round it that worked for me is for the Q mini box to be hardwired to the deco - they then don't need to create their own mesh. I have unplugged the sky q booster/mesh box that was installed to link between the main box and the mini.  But you would need a mesh that had enough units to connect to each sky box.

The wifi provided by the X20 has been seamless and I can now move all around the house and access much higher speeds than previously using combination of powerlines.  Best money I've spent in a long time!

0 Kudos