Menu
meld51
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Yellow Light: What does it mean?

I've just been posted a hub 3. Is there a reason I have a yellow light on the bottom of it? There is no mention of a yellow light in the papers that came with it.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Yellow Light: What does it mean?

Is it yellow or off-white?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Opinions on this vary.  There is an online help page that claims that a yellow light means  the hub is online and working, and any connection problems are probably that your wireless devices are having problems connecting.  Personally I don't believe that, as the instances of a distinctly yellow LED that have appeared in the forum have invariably been associated with a severe broadband connection problem that required a hub swap.   If your hub is working perfectly, and there's no performance problems, then who knows what it means?  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
meld51
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well the light is definitely yellow, not off white.

Also when I phone Virgin and they run their remote test routine they tell me that my router has a problem and needs to be restarted. When I do that, the light is still yellow and nothing is solved. A retest again shows that there is something wrong.

I'm now waiting to talk to someone but been hanging on for quite a while...

By the way, when I run the Router BIT it cheekily says I have a weak signal on some of my devices and to move them closer to the router... 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Try a full 60 second pinhole reset.  Remove any ethernet cables before the reset. Do not reboot after the reset, just let the Hub do it thing. Also make sure the factory passwords are clearly visible on the bottom of the Hub before proceeding.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon meld51,

Can you please update us on the thread to see if the pin hole reset has been performed?

Are you experiencing any connection issues, over wired and/or Wi-Fi, with any devices on the new hub?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
meld51
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I did a full reset (with a VM engineer) yesterday. Factory settings didn't help. I restored my own settings and got back to the same place. The engineer said that the yellow light was supposed to be white and that many routers have been fitted with a yellow LED.

See my other threads...my main concern is that the MAC address filtering may not be functional with the current firmware but I need to test some more to be sure.

My second concern was my data rate, though this is of less concern to me. The engineer took an attenuator of the cable and I get better speeds now, and it appears to be dependent on which device I use, so maybe some of my various devices are a bit old. However, I don't completely believe this. I have M200 rate. I used to achieve 100MB on my main PC (WIFI) but now only get 45MB. My laptop leapt from 50MB to 180MB (WIFI) once the attenuator was removed.

I also run a Raspberry Pi...an get a max of 60MB (Ethernet connection) but I don't expect great rates from that device ...only cost me £50!

My phones achieve the full 200MB now. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The engineer said that the yellow light was supposed to be white and that many routers have been fitted with a yellow LED.

That's utter garbage.  The hub has a multi-colour LED, and it achieves that by blending the output of three miniature diodes integrated into a single package, one each of red, green and blue.  If the light is yellow, then that means the blue diode is off, the red and green are on.  In turn that means one of the following has to apply:

1. The hub has entered the fabled and apparently undocumented error state that triggers a yellow LED and nobody knows what that means.
  2. The blue diode has failed (if this is the case then the LED can only ever show red, green or yellow, it can never show white, pink, purple or magenta).  If the LED can flash white at any point during start up, this is probably not the case.
  3. The supply voltage to the diode package is too low, as a blue LED needs a higher voltage than green or red.

As the LED is also the overheating indicator, then if it or the voltage regulation is in anyway faulty, it needs replacing.  And if the LED supply voltage is faulty, then this may be associated with voltage regulation problems for other circuitry, creating connection problems. The fire risk from hubs is incredibly low risk compared to say, anything made by Whirlpool, but they aren't no-risk.  In my view the onus is therefore on VM to formally prove that a yellow LED is not faulty, and that the indication is associated with a known operating mode confirmed by the manufacturer, and that when the operating mode is normal the LED will return to white.  Simply putting up a web page that claims this is normal operation and blaming user's wifi devices fails any test of proof, as does a field technician inventing tales about hubs being fitted with yellow LEDs..

It isn't helping that VM have botched up their supply of new hubs, and are desperate not to replace hubs if at all possible, as well as now clawing back antiquated Superhub 2's for a wipedown and reissue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
meld51
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've just found this page:

No WiFi connection | Virgin Media

It states that yellow means:

"It looks like the Hub is online and working. This means it’s probably your device which is struggling to connect to your WiFi."

I can believe that one or two of my devices are on the edge of connectivity.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi meld51, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the confusion around the hub 3's yellow light - and the WiFi issues since the engineer visit as well.

I'm unsure why the engineer said that about the yellow light - I've always followed the guidance of the website, with Yellow indicating problems with wireless connections specifically.

Unfortunately I'm currently unable to retrieve full provisioning status from the device, I'm not sure if that's related to some kind of fault, or due to a problem with our systems.

However I'd be happy to arrange a follow-up visit with a senior engineer so this can be looked at again? I understand you wanted to do a bit more testing, feel free to send me a PM and I'll get another visit booked in.

Tom 

0 Kudos