Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Wifi keeps disconnecting

Hi there, 

I wondered if anyone can help me? 

We recently changed from sky to virgin but ever since we have had the hub 3, the Internet connection has been really poor and regularly disconnects. 

The hub has been reset multiple times but nothing has changed and it always seems to display a solid yellow light.

I know that WiFi connections are not guaranteed by virgin but the hub 3 is situated in a very similar location to the old sky router and yet we never had connection issues with that.

The hub 3 is less than 6 metres away from the smart TV and xbox but it still regularly loses connection. I have tried all the steps online and spoke to a very unhelpful virgin employee online who said I should buy boosters for £3 extra a month....

I am no IT expert but our virgin socket is connected to an old and very damaged telewest wall socket (that comes in from outside) by a long coaxial cable extension that passes through a splitter, which I assume was installed by a previous tenant.

Is there any chance that a faulty wire could be a cause of the connection issues? 

Any help much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Wifi keeps disconnecting

What are wired connections like? Do they also disconnect?

Theres no point comparing it to another ISP’s router as they’re all different specs and hardware. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We don't have any wired connections so I don't know. I would have to connect the laptop via the ethernet the next time the wireless drops but hard to predict when that would be. Is the hub 3 poor at providing regular wireless connections? 

I appreciate that but as brand new customers I am just voicing disappointment at my experience with virgin thus far. Specs differing or not, virgin should more than match sky especially when we are supposedly getting more than double the speed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes the WiFi in the hub is poor. But you don’t pay for WiFi. You pay for the speed to be delivered to the hub.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I see. So basically virgin media has fast speeds but poor WiFi. Wish we'd known that before we changed from sky since most devices use WiFi these days.

What do you suggest? The location of the hub doesn't make ethernet connections very practical. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@RH-27 wrote:

I see. So basically virgin media has fast speeds but poor WiFi. Wish we'd known that before we changed from sky since most devices use WiFi these days.

What do you suggest? The location of the hub doesn't make ethernet connections very practical. 

Put the hub into modem mode and invest in a better router or mesh system. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Our house isn't very big so a mesh system is probably overkill but thanks for the suggestion. Are there any affordable router options that would massively improve the WiFi?

We have a smart TV, xbox, 2 android phones, laptop, tablet and a wireless thermostat if that helps?!?! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@RH-27 wrote:

Are there any affordable router options that would massively improve the WiFi?

Zyxel NBG6615 - WiFi Router | Alza.co.uk

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Any decent mid-high range ASUS or TP-Link router will be fine.

Don't cheap out.

0 Kudos