Menu
Data
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 WiFi light flickering

Hi, Been having problems with the hub WiFI for some time which I atributed to the chipset, but also losing settings, specifically the reserved IP and MAC filter lists. The lists sometimes don't show, or only partial entries, with the consequence active machines get an internet blocked IP, or a machine that should be blocked is allowed.

The WiFi has been a bind for a long time, however now when it fails, a reboot doesn't fix it alone. It is required to enter the web interface and disable, then enable the WiFi on both 5 and 2.4 to effect a fix. Sometimes more than once. What I also noticed this time around is that the green WiFi light was flickering quickly, and seemingly randomly, like a loose bulb in a holder. A few moments later it subsided and WiFi returned.

Note that I completed 2 Hard reset and reconfiguration cycles within the last week to try a permanent resolve, but seems it's not that.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 WiFi light flickering

When you did the factory resets, did you follow the instructions provided by VM on the website? They are wrong.. you need to depress the reset button for a full, timed, 60 seconds then release it and leave the hub alone for 10 mins, don't power it off during this time, just let it do its thing. 

If this still doesn't cure it then it sounds like your hub is possibly faulty - i suspect that when VM look at the hub from their end everything looks OK, so getting them to swap it out for a new one might be a challenge - it seems that this has been increasingly hard of late, i assume because of stock/supply chain issues.  Best bet is to switch it off before you call customer services and tell them it has failed. they'll have to send you a new one.

Alternatively, you can hang around here for a few days and hope that a VM staffer picks it up and agrees that it needs to be swapped out.  As you've already done a couple of resets, i don't have anything else to suggest other than that I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Data
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tehwolf,

Thank you for responding. Please forgive my late reply, I got no notification email.

The device went back to default on both occasions, including the initial setup screens. None of my own settings remained. I did leave it to it's own devices as you suggested, which took ages to settle down, something it never used to do.

It's been problematic for a long time.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the device is faulty then VM will provide a replacement, however it may be an uphill struggle getting them to agree to send you a new one if the issues are mostly WiFi related as their remote tests are mostly focused on how the modem component of the hub is functioning which is probably showing everything to be working. 

the hub is a low cost, “minimum viable product” device.. you may want to consider buying a decent router/mesh system and using the hub in modem mode..

Data
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I already have a suitable device, or I can throw PFsense/OPNsense together, but it's just more power consumption on top of the monthly charge. The hub 3 uses enough on it's own.

It's the device as a whole that is malfunctioning, in every way I need to use it. Safety and security comes into the equation. They should have stuck with a modem.

Anyway, I believe this is a continuation from my other posts of 2018, when I never got  a resolution, and it's slowly worsening.

0 Kudos
Data
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

May I ask how long I should wait for a staff level member to intervene before needing further action on my part?

Thanks

0 Kudos