cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Vs Hub 5 - should I switch ? (Quick question)

deans6571
Wise owl

Can anyone let me know if I would see any benefit in switching from a Hub 3 to a newer Hub 5  as just been offered a switch ?

I'm on a 250 Mb cable connection currently, so don't know if I would actually see any benefit other than better wi-fi?!

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again deans6571 

Some people say if it ain't broke don't fix it. But, if you are being offered a free upgrade I would suggest to take it as you may need to payshould you decide to upgrade your hub at a later date..

The hub 3's are getting old now.  If yours was to develop a fault so that it needed replacing then you would probably receive a refurbished hub3. It's difficult to estimate what the lifespan of the replacement unit would be.

When a customer cancels VM no longer ask them to return the hub3, so it looks to me like they will only be issuing hub4's and 5's in the near future when they run out of stock of hub3's 

The only issue I had with my hub3 was that the wifi signal in the kitchen was poor, and virtually non-existant at times in the garden.

I was on a M600 connection when I received a hub5 to test, It immediately improved the reach of my wifi, and also both my wifi and ethernet connection speeds. (My speeds weren't that good as I had an old PC)

I'm now on a Gig1 connection. With the hub5 on my old PC the speeds increased to around 650 Mbps. I bought a new AIO PC and now get speeds around 1170Mbps through the hub 5's 2.5Ghz port. 

If you are thinking of increasing your speed, or buying equipment that's Wifi6 then the hub5 is ideal

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

sure🤐

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

sure🤐

...care to expand! 

I do value your opinion - I know nothing about the Hub 5!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again deans6571 

Some people say if it ain't broke don't fix it. But, if you are being offered a free upgrade I would suggest to take it as you may need to payshould you decide to upgrade your hub at a later date..

The hub 3's are getting old now.  If yours was to develop a fault so that it needed replacing then you would probably receive a refurbished hub3. It's difficult to estimate what the lifespan of the replacement unit would be.

When a customer cancels VM no longer ask them to return the hub3, so it looks to me like they will only be issuing hub4's and 5's in the near future when they run out of stock of hub3's 

The only issue I had with my hub3 was that the wifi signal in the kitchen was poor, and virtually non-existant at times in the garden.

I was on a M600 connection when I received a hub5 to test, It immediately improved the reach of my wifi, and also both my wifi and ethernet connection speeds. (My speeds weren't that good as I had an old PC)

I'm now on a Gig1 connection. With the hub5 on my old PC the speeds increased to around 650 Mbps. I bought a new AIO PC and now get speeds around 1170Mbps through the hub 5's 2.5Ghz port. 

If you are thinking of increasing your speed, or buying equipment that's Wifi6 then the hub5 is ideal

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Client62
Legend

Don't change what is working is excellent advice.

Hub 5's in Router mode have issues with Wi-Fi, DHCP, DNS, Port Forwardng so be ready to use the Hub 5 in Modem mode + a 3rd Party Router.

@Client62 wrote:

Don't change what is working is excellent advice.

Hub 5's in Router mode have issues with Wi-Fi, DHCP, DNS, Port Forwardng so be ready to use the Hub 5 in Modem mode + a 3rd Party Router.

...what issues do they have? You can't state they have issues and then don't explain why these issues are present?

I know people slate the Hub 3 but I've never had any issues with mine. I only asked this question as an engineer was round yesterday checking my power levels and he suggested upgrading (for free if I called his number) to the newer Hub 5 which has more wifi antennas than the Hub 3.

Perhaps your Hub 5 is having the issues you are describing.....

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again deans6571 

Thanks for that - all very helpful.

What if I don't have any Wifi 6 devices (not sure if any of these support Wifi 6 : Xbox Series S, PlayStation 4 and 5, iPhones 13 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS) - would I still see stronger and better wifi around the house ? 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again deans6571 

The good news is that your PS5 supports wifi 6, as do your  iPhones 11 and 13 Pro. 

You won't notice any difference speedwise since you are on the M250 tier, you need a higher broadband tier to really notice any speed difference, but the wifi 6 range is stronger and so helps avoid congestion.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again deans6571 

The good news is that your PS5 supports wifi 6, as do your  iPhones 11 and 13 Pro. 

You won't notice any difference speedwise since you are on the M250 tier, you need a higher broadband tier to really notice any speed difference, but the wifi 6 range is stronger and so helps avoid congestion.

Hi again.

that's great - thanks.

😊

Final question before I put in an order, my Hub 3 is in normal router mode.

I'm assuming its ok to do the same with the Hub 5 and leave it also in its normal router mode (I don't want to put it in modem mode and buy my own router). 

I guess I can get the engineer to set up the individual 2.5ghz and 5ghz networks when he's round.

Are you also able to confirm what has been said below by Client62 - 

"The Hub 5s are all notorious for the WI-Fi service failing when changed from the default settings."

Client62
Legend

If you take a Hub 5 and to intend to use split Wi-Fi you may need to use Modem mode and a 3rd Party Router to keep that working. The Hub 5s are all notorious for the WI-Fi service failing when changed from the default settings.