forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
MDub
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 V Hub 4

For wireless strength and number of devices that can be connected is Hub 4 better than Hub3?

My Hub 3 is very poor in my situation so unless Hub 4 can improve things I'll be leaving Virgin.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 V Hub 4

i installed a hub4 a little while ago and would say the wifi is marginally better - but its still nothing like a 3rd party wifi router i use

if you decision to stay or go is based around the wifi on VM hubs then thats your call - the answer to poor wifi on all the vm hubs is to add your own wifi devices - a 3rd party router or a mesh system - do that and you will be more than happy

looking at all other isp's the main push is wifi in any room but how good that wifi is and what speeds you can expect is hidden in the small print

Tony
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From what I've heard the Hub 4 Wi-Fi is worse than the hub 3

It does however allow more bonded channels for the cable connection

Get a good Wi-Fi router or mesh and put the hub 3 in modem mode

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd suggest the first step is to do a Wi-Fi 'survey' using a good app such as inSSIDer on windows or one of the Android apps (there are decent free ones).

You can then map the strength and any contention (say from neighbouring hub) in each room/location and form a view of what solution is best.

You will know best what speed/stability is required at each point - for example I have some IoT (smart plugs) at the extremes of my property - speed isn't much of an issue but reliability is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos