cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Upgrade

smartc66
Joining in

Hello.

Any recommendations on a new router to replace a Virgin Hub 3.

I have dead areas in the house

Thanks

Clive

20 REPLIES 20

Thanks John - will report back when I get the kit installed.

Really do appreciate this

Clive

John, i am having a similar issue - i have my VM Hub 3 set up as Router mode then 1 x ethernet cable feeds a 8 port switch, from the switch i have 4 x EAP 245 TPLINK and these are all hard wired.... All use the same SSID but its so unstable and forever dropping out.. I was going to use the mesh function but our hose is 1920 solid brick so wifi signals are poor hence the 4 EAPs... I am really thinking of a complete new set up... Possible to switch to Modem mode then direct to s 4 port switch to send wired signals to TV and bose system,,, then 1 Cable to 1 x new strong WIFI router loctaed in the kitchen as thats the room thats used the most..

Please what switches and new router could you recomend,, also would i require a managed or unmannaged switch 

Many thanks

Rig135

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@rig135 wrote:

I am really thinking of a complete new set up... Possible to switch to Modem mode then direct to s 4 port switch

A switch to modem mode only allows one source MAC from a device you need to do a type of NAT mostly by home router then a switch.    

---------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for the reply.... I am not 100% sure on which way to go as i want to creat a home network with one SSID - (HOME) so my current set up is the VM Hub 3 --- its currently in ROUTER modes so send out the VM wifi signal... Lan connection 1 - feeds a TP link network switch then in the network switch 4 x cables feed 4 x TP link EAP 245 access points.. The access points have 1 SSID (HOME) - all have the latest firmware installed but i really am struggling to keep the internet flowing via this set up..

This is whay i am wanting a complete new Start - might have to purchase new Access points or whatever..

I am looking for the best solution to get this to work correctly...

I also have CCTV system plugged into the same switch and this never drops off always online so its telling me the internet to the house and from the VM Hub to my switch is working correctly - however the Access points are causing my issues..

Thanks in advnce..

ttt3
On our wavelength

Very good post, thanks.

However I am a Virgin Media customer and I should be getting a better Hub than 3. I’m paying for a service that is not working properly and providing me with 2nd hand hubs.

Rant over ✌️

ttt3
On our wavelength

I’m no expert, and some on here seem to be. My main point is, Virgin uses IPV4 not IPV6 as-well. Unlike many other broadband providers that offer both and a better hub.

Out of curiosity, why have you all stuck with Virgin?

Hi @ttt3, thank you for your posts.

We're sorry to hear you feel this way 😔

What issues are you experiencing with your broadband exactly? Is it the connection or the speed, or both?

Advice on how to fix internet problems can be found here, while advice on how to fix slow speeds is here

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel

Hey, sorry to hijack the post but I have had wifi issues for about a year, it drops in and out all the time, the kids hotspot their phones as its unusable, any answers or do I get rid of Virgin and try someone else?

regards

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@bfgpete wrote:

Hey, sorry to hijack the post but I have had wifi issues for about a year, it drops in and out all the time, the kids hotspot their phones as its unusable, any answers or do I get rid of Virgin and try someone else?

look at getting a better router with 1Gb port and use hub in modem mode.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@ttt3 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why have you all stuck with Virgin?

Maybe the area is fine with not much ping spikes and don't care about VM router mode and use modem mode.