Menu
Dreamfish
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Router Permanent Red Light

Hi

For the past 6 weeks my router has had a permanent red light. It definitely isn’t overheating. I have tried everything that I can find online (reset etc) but nothing. I have now noticed devices around the house are getting weaker at picking the signal up. Could do with rectifying quickly now working from home. 

Kind regards 

craig hughes

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Router Permanent Red Light

Are you in Router Mode or Modem Mode ?

In Modem Mode the power light should be magenta.

In Router Mode the power light should be white.

In either Mode the red power light is an indication of over heating and most not be ignored.

Ensure that the Hub is in a well ventilated area and nothing is blocking the vent holes on the sides of the Hub.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is cool to touch and the red power light remains on the Hub must be replaced.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is hot to touch and the red power light remains on the Hub must be replaced.

Do not be fobbed off with "if it is cool it will be OK" or "Just blow a fan over it", this is dangerous advice.

When you go out or retire for the night ensure that the Hub is unplugged from the mains.

The only fix is a replacement Hub.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 10 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Dreamfish
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks. I had already seen this post so have tried it and it is still red. I am in router mode. 
Am I best to call for a replacement router or wait on here?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would say call in.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Dreamfish
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Do you know the best number to call?

0 Kudos
Dreamfish
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Do you know the best number to call?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

there is no "Best" number, just the standard number for customer services.
use that number.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey @Dreamfish,

Sorry to hear of the issues that you've been having with your broadband connection.

I have been able to locate your account and can see that you have an SNR issue on some of your downstream channels and a power issue on some of your upstream channel, we will need a technician to vist to fix this.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can find all the information that you need about your appointment on your online account and clicking My Account and Order tracking.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Steven_L wrote:

I have been able to locate your account and can see that you have an SNR issue on some of your downstream channels and a power issue on some of your upstream channel, we will need a technician to vist to fix this.

that wouldn't cause a red light to show on the hub though, unless the SNR issue is somehow causing the hub to overheat?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Dreamfish
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest as a non techie, what does this mean? Is it not the router that is broken?

0 Kudos