Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Permanent Red Light

I have the same problem as many others with this so it should be well known to Virgin by now. I have phoned Virgin and spent ages waiting for someone to pick up. On the recorded answer it says out in your mobile number and someone will get back but no one ever does. Got through once and the person said was reading questions none of which were relevant to my query. Put on hold for 5 mins whilst he referred to someone else. Came back and asked more non relevant questions. Put me on hold again whilst he referred to another person. After 10 minutes line went dead and phone said other person has cleared. On the phone for 35 minutes. Phoned again later and on phone for 40 minutes, no one answered, just recorded message. Last Thursday at 12.12. sent a text. What a surprise! No response. My contract expires in 2 months so will be very seriously look for another provider. Had wifi with Blueyonder and then Virgin, so a very long time but they do not care. Been loyal tio them for years but it does not count for anything with them. Would not recommend Virgin to anyone now. Now wait and see if anyone from Virgin can actually be bothered.

I am very concerned that this red light is a very serious problem and could cause damage to me equipment or even my home. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Permanent Red Light

Are you in Router Mode or Modem Mode ?

In Modem Mode the power light is magenta.

In Router Mode the red power light is an indication of over heating and most not be ignored.

Do not be fobbed off with "if it is cool it will be OK" or "Just blow a fan over it", this is dangerous advice.

When you go out or retire for the night ensure that the Hub is unplugged from the mains.

The only fix is a replacement Hub.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. I have already seen it before having trawled through load of comments.

I would just like to be able to speak to someone at Virgin and get a new hub.

Cheers  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi mikeb4348

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delayed reply.

Can you reboot the router for me please and see if it is still the same? The reason I ask, is that it's not been powered off for a few weeks.

Let me know if anything changes as if not I'll happily send you one

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for getting back. When the issue first arose, I tried switching hub off and then on again, doing a reset of the hub and switching off at the mains and switching back on. Did all but reset a few times but it did not make any difference.

Today, I have switched hub off and then back on. Also, off at the mains and on again. Both times after flashing lights, it finally settles on just the red light. 

Intermittently, the wifi links on PC, Ipad and Android phone all disconnect but can go days without this happening. Is this a problem with the hub or the speeds? When I first started I had 50 mbps and over the years this was increased at no charge to 200. However, last year at my renewal the cost had risen quite a lot and it was suggested I reduce my speed to 100 to save money, which I did.

I would like to take up the offer of a new hub if this gets rid of the red light and hopefully I will have a more reliable coonection. I assume that there will be no charge whatsoever for the new hub. If there is then I will have to review my options.

Look forward to hearing from you, cheers, Mike 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mike

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've ordered the new hub for you now, 1-3 working days for delivery

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help. Hopefully it will resolve the issue.

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You're more than welcome, Mike 🙂

Let me know how the new router is etc

Have a good weekend 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos