cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - Orange Light

Midash
Tuning in

Hi guys

I've checked out the post here: Orange light and I've got the exact same light appearing.

My ethernet connection works, (with some minor cases of connection dropping occasionally). But my WiFi is very unreliable and the range has severely limited over the past 3 months.

The hub is completely isolated and not near any other electrical items, it has been reset many times for 15 seconds and 60 seconds and the same outcome every time. 

I've tried speaking with the telephone support, but they are restricted with what they can do because of their diagnostic tools... from their side, everything is A-OK.

I'm getting frustrated with this, as I need the WiFi (like many others) to work from home but also for things such as smart TV's and our phones. (There are only 2 of us, so there isn't a huge number of connections).

Can anyone offer any advice on what to do next? I've had the hub 3 for a long time now, I think we were upgraded from the older model when this came out if I remember correctly. I've been with Virgin for a long long time, something probably around 10 years, so forgive me for not knowing exactly how long 🙂 !

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If your ethernet cable connections are OK then try this....

On a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with average usage

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks so much!

I am on the ultimate oomph bundle, so might need to ask about the pods if needed. I do actually have a router:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/...

I wanted to get the issue sorted though, but if using that will resolve the issues altogether that's even better?! Will it not cause any issues for me with the virgin hub being used in modem mode? (I'm a little concerned about the light and the notes on the previous thread about it being the indicator for overheating?)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Nice router 🙂

You have to be in normal router mode to use Pods - so that's a non-starter for you. The Hub light issue is a long running saga on here with customers saying their power light is white, off-white, yellow, amber, orange, red or magenta. posting a photo might help.

I assume you have done all the basics.... changed the ethernet cables, tightened all conections, pinhole reset the Hub, etc. If so can you post up all the data from the Hub. Ask if you are nt sure how - or every thread will probably have a "how to" in it somewhere

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Midash

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Having followed the advice provided above, how is your connection today? Has anything improved since posting?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi!

It has certainly been better, I'm able to connect my living room TV to the WiFi now, but the signal still drops and disconnects unfortunately. 😞

I did try speaking to numerous people on the telephone again, but it ended with somebody finally understanding everything I was telling them, spotting some sort of error on my settings and then the call dropped and I had no call back. I'd spent over an hour and really did not have the time to go through that again. 

Thank you for the updates @Midash.

Sorry to hear that the disconnections are ongoing and that you have been unable to get help when contacting our team. I can understand the frustration caused and want to best help.

I have been able to access your account to take a look back end and everything seems to be in order.

In this case, Would you be able to set up a broadband quality monitor so we can experience these dropouts and then post the results on here?  Broadband Quality Monitor | thinkbroadband. This will help us identify where the issue may lay.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yep no problem!

Have just set one up for Ethernet, is it worthwhile doing it from my phone on the wifi too? I'm assuming I come back tomorrow/in a couple days and share the results?

Hi Midash

Can you post up the BQM 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Midash_0-1633896550710.png

This is from yesterday, when we definitely noticed drop outs and had to go from wifi to mobile data. Can't see any red though which seems like a positive?