Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 + Dlink router problems

My set up is Hub 3 hard wired to a 4 port switch which in turn is hard wired to a DIR-842 router. I also have the HUB 3 connected to a VM supplied powerline Wifi adapter.

Connected to the Hub3 via network cable is an access gateway for my heating controls.

Connected to the DIR-842 via network cables are a TV & a Blueray player.

Connected to the remote powerline adapter via network cable is a Tivo box.

Connected to one port of the switch is another Tivo box.

The DIR-842 router was fitted 18 months ago & worked absolutely fine until about two weeks ago when any device connected to it, by either wifi or through the ports, could not access the internet. There was also intermittent problems with the powerline adapter at this time.

Looking at the hub settings I could only see the gateway as a connected device.

Re-booting the Hub & the DIR-842 made no difference so in the end I did a factory reset on both.

Following the reset I could see all the connected devices apart from the Tivo box connected through the switch but it appeared to be connecting ok.

After a day or so connection to the internet via the DIR-842 stopped again.

I rest everything again & this time reserved an IP address for the DIR-842. Things appeared ok for three days then I lost the internet again. 

Any ideas?

Also after the reset I could no longer use spaces in the Hub3 wifi passwords which seems a bit odd.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 + Dlink router problems

If the D-Link is not set to be in bridge or AP mode and the Virgin Hub is still in router mode you’ll get issues with connectivity and double NAT etc.

Ideally you would run the hub in Modem Mode with just the D-Link attached and all other wired connections be made to the D-Link. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I need to keep the hub3 wifi due to the size of my house so can't run it in modem mode..

The D-Link has never been in AP mode & yet worked fine for 18 months.

I'm wondering if VM have changed the firmware in the hub3 which would account for the change in allowable password characters?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@BoroBosco wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I need to keep the hub3 wifi due to the size of my house so can't run it in modem mode..

The D-Link has never been in AP mode & yet worked fine for 18 months.

I'm wondering if VM have changed the firmware in the hub3 which would account for the change in allowable password characters?

You can’t have 2 devices acting as routers in your network.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos