cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Connected Devices

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

I have been reviewing the connection of various WiFi and Ethernet devices, as reported by my Hub 3 Router. I do not understand some of the behaviour.

The main reason for exploring this is that one of my Amazon Kindle devices reports the following error message:

"Your Kindle is connected to the WiFi network but could not reach the Internet. Contact your Internet Service Provider for further assistance". This particular Kindle is not shown as being connected in the Status Overview.

The Router and the SSID password details are correct. Two other Kindles and my mobile phone do appear in the Status Overview, as expected.

Another strange situation occurs with two Amazon Fire Tablets. These work perfectly when using WiFi, both having excellent signal strength. However, they are not shown as being connected in the Status Overview!

I have used Slitheris Network Discovery to explore things further. The MAC and IP addresses for the Amazon Tablets are both listed. The Ping times are rather long at 250 and 617 mS, respectively. Could this be the reason that they are not shown as being connected?

I don't think that any of the Kindles are 'pingable', but two of them are still shown as being connected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check that its DNS address is within the Hubs DNS "range" - what DNS do the other Kindles use?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Wyvern2, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this about this.

I have taken a look at this and I can see there is currently an area outage which could be affecting this due to last until the 24th August. 

Any updates will be posted here 

Also is it just the Amazon devices that are struggling? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

Hi Matt,
It certainly wasn't an outage problem with the Amazon Tablets, as they were streaming content perfectly well at the time. They just did not show as being connected to the Hub.

Two of the Amazon Kindles were shown as being connected to the Hub. The third Kindle produced the confusing error message listed in my previous post. Unfortunately, without a working WiFi/Internet connection, a KIndle is virtually useless!

I understand but there is currently an outage right now and it could be affected by this has it only started in the passed week by any chance? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

My tests were carried out fairly recently, so it is probably best that I try again after the outage has been fixed. Thanks for your help.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check that its DNS address is within the Hubs DNS "range" - what DNS do the other Kindles use?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for letting us know @Wyvern2 Please let us know the result of the test when you conduct them and we will do our best to help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

Hi John,
The Kindles are eReader devices, not Kindle Fire Tablets. I'm not sure how to find what DNS range they use. I just provide the SSID password for the Hub 3 router WiFi network.

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

Hi everyone,
I've tried everything I can to investigate the strange WiFi connection problems, but without success.
I have had a long session with Amazon customer support, but as the Kindle Reader says that it is an ISP problem, they keep pushing me in Virgin Media's direction!
I don't really want to buy another Kindle e-reader unnecessarily!

Any further suggestions?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It would be interesting to try connecting the Kindle to a hot spot on a phone. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.