Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Almost unusable

I've had the Hub 3 for 10 days. WiFi drops off several times a day and it needs to be rebooted. I've left it to see if settled down but to no avail. Tried to phone Virgin Media but after over an hour on the phone gave up, tried getting them on Twitter but no reply after 3 days.

I'm actually ready to tell them to stick it as I really need a vaguely reliable internet connection as I'm working from home.

Any advice would be appreciated, is if anyone from Virgin Media is on here it would be nice to receive some sort of customer service.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Almost unusable

Is it just wifi? are wired connections fine?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Only wired connection is on my son's computer, and he hasn't mentioned anything. Myself, my wife and my son have all experienced constant problems with WiFi. Multiple drop offs every day.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As legacy1 has asked - that will indicate whether it is VM connection problem or just a wifi one.

EDIT: ask your lad whether everything if fine and behaving as expected on his computer

This is community help forum - VM staff do come on here but it can take up to a week for them to arrive. We can help diagnose and suggest how to fix any issues but it will take some effort from you to provide data we ask for.

That wont be much use to you if you just want to cancel in 14day cooling off period. You will have to call it in - 08.00 is the best time to call in for quick responses.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It appears to be only WiFi that is the issue. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK for the wifi issues you have a few options. You can tweak the Hub settings as per the protocol below and see if that helps

If not VM will offer you wifi boosters but VM supply boosters free only to those who have a Hub4 - do you qualify? If so they are worth a go first. If not they will charge you £3/mo and they aren’t - you are better spending those monies on your on better quality wireless kit like many of us on here do.

Remember no ISP actually "guarantees" connectivity on wifi - only over ethernet cable - and yours seem fine.
Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand 's advice may resolve matters.  Do that today, see how you get on.  If that doesn't help, then if it is purely a wireless problem, you're probably looking at spending a hundred quid on a mesh wifi setup.  The Hub 3 wifi can work OK in an easy wifi environment, in some instances it really struggles.  Many of us have bitten the bullet and provided our own router or mesh, but that doesn't appeal to everybody.

Give serious thought to your options here as your 14 day cancellation window is about to slam shut with a boom like the doors of HMP Slade.  Once that's happened you will be serving 18 months with Virgin Media.  And unlike real criminals, you won't be released halfway through your sentence for good behaviour.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I've tried this and will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos