cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - 2.4GHz slow speeds (5GHz & wired connections are fine)

Rayth
Tuning in

Hello all,

Hoping someone has had a similar experience and may be able to shed some light on something which is currently perplexing me...

I am currently using the Hub 3 on a 100Mbps plan. As the title suggests, I have separated my 2.4GHz & 5GHz frequencies to two different SSIDs. Both of which have been set manually to a specific channel that is less congested within my area, although I have tested all the default settings as well with no improvement.

My 2.4GHz wireless network has yet to exceed 50Mbps, whilst the vast majority of the time it will range from ~20Mbps to 35Mbps, with the occasional <1Mbps. In addition to this, the network regularly drops packets - speed tests are unable to complete sometimes as a result of this - the network will even completely disappear as an available WiFi network, before all devices then reconnect ~15seconds later.

The speeds coming into the property are great, I'm seeing a solid 100Mbps most of the time, both via ethernet and the 5GHz wireless network.

I've had an engineer out today, confused as much as I, he replaced the Hub 3 with a new one. The engineer encouraged that I leave the hub with it's 'smart' features enabled and let the hub works it's magic managing the connections itself. Unfortunately, this didn't sit well with me and I needed to know if it was still a problem... It is.

Could this be a firmware update that is causing the problem as I've never had a problem with this before and I'm now out of ideas as to how to resolve the problem beyond throwing my money at a third-party router, using my hub in modem mode.

Huge thanks in advance for any support you may have.

Cheers,

Rayth.

9 REPLIES 9

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Rayth wrote:

... beyond throwing my money at a third-party router, using my hub in modem mode.

Better sooner then later.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

@Rayth wrote:

... beyond throwing my money at a third-party router, using my hub in modem mode.

Better sooner then later.

Perhaps. However, two different Hubs both experiencing the same problem, limited only to 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, which currently has left me with an (so far) unexplainable problem... Can't say I really fancy parting with £70-90 when I just can't quite scratch that technical itch, especially when the Hub 3 has been reasonably satisfactory for my home usage. 

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rayth,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your connection. I've had a look at things from our side and a few o the hubs levels are out of specification. Can you please perform a reboot so I can check them again?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me.

Since creating this post I have already rebooted, in fact, factory reset the hub to it's default settings, changing only the SSID and password of the network to eliminate multiple manual reconnections to the network.

I have since introduced a 5GHz compatible WiFi extender which with the Hub 3s default smart settings enabled the WiFi extender is working as expected but then reintroducing a 2.4GHz option so that my devices which don't support 5GHz are now connecting, thus fixing my problem, or perhaps merely just sweeping it under the rug.

Can you be more specific regarding your statement below? Other than the SSID and password of the network, I'm not sure what you're referring to. My hub has spent almost as much time rebooting recently as I have spent banging my head against the wall.

@Alex_RM wrote:

I've had a look at things from our side and a few o the hubs levels are out of specification

Look forward to hearing back from you,

Cheers,

Rayth

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rayth,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, just to elude to Alex's point, sometimes when there are readings out of specification, we require a recent reboot as if there is any readings still out of spec they'll be more specific to the problem you are facing.

Did you perform a reboot?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain,

My apologies for the delayed response.

Thank you for clarifying.

I can confirm that the Hub has now been rebooted. Please continue to run your tests to further identify the problem.

For the sake of testing the network whilst it's smart features are enabled - allowing it to change it's on channel to avoid congestion & auto-assign wireless network connectivity type (2.4GHz/5GHz) - I purchased a TP-Link 300Mbps capable 2.4GHz range extender to run various speed tests and general network stability tests on. At the time of writing this response both my wired connection and 5GHz compatible devices are achieving perfect results based on my package, whilst anything which connects to the 2.4GHz range extender, including the extender itself, are currently running at speeds that aren't even breaking a single(1)mbps, or it drops it's connection. I did however get a solid 3mbps earlier when testing this on a 2.4GHz compatible only tablet which was connected directly to the hub and not the range extender.

I've since purchased a replacement router, but will be holding off using it until you've been able to test further.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,

Rayth.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am going to send you over a private message and confirm some details with you so we can get this sorted 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi RAyth, 

did you manage to sort this in the end? or did you end up buying a new router. If so which one?

Thanks

Ash

Hi @asherdw1986 

Welcome to our community service and sorry to hear you are experiencing a similar issue. We can understand the frustration caused and we want to do our best to help. Was the great advise given by our community useful? Are you still having speed issues still the last posting? 

Thank,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs