Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0

That's "News" to all of us who have been on here for years. They may have changed their "policy" on activating "extraneous" Hubs. I will try and find out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

NO - they wont connect another Hub as its stolen property.

Unlikely unless a burglar took it, which is a scenario I don't find credible. 

If a customer doesn't return a hub at the end of the contract, then VM charge them for it's non-return.  In which case VM would be deemed to have sold it, and the owner of a now-mostly-useless hub can do what they want with it.  No way on earth a company can charge you for something and then say "we took your money, but that's still our property, you've STOLEN it".

So if the OP did buy it on eBay, then they are now legitimately the owner of the device.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Interesting point - I need to ponder on it 🙂

I just looked on eBay and there are 309 listings under Hub3.0 - I wonder if they have all been charged for them and they are trying to recoup their costs?

Edit: Andruser see the VIP Chat forum.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

8CF51B93-C6A8-4618-951F-F312C7FFED48.jpeg

Yes they did connect the hub as you can see. Apologies it won’t let me add the photo.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. That just about nicely sums up where the issue lays 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

VM got paid twice then. Once for the saving not having to send you a new hub
And once for charging the seller for non return

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

it depends on how the charge is described.
If they charge you an admin fee for non return of VM property that is not selling them the hub.

And i think the charge is listed as Non-return of equipment not the sale of it. That can be seen in both ways depending on how you look at it.

But VM shouldn't;t be reactivating it in the first plays.

We were told the system wouldn't even allow it so nice that VM lie to use as well

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Super_3776 wrote:

Not only was it a completely pointless comment and of no help. You’ve also been proven wrong as virgin have just remotely activated the hub for me. So thanks for your irrelevant input Tudor. Give yourself a pat on the back. Lol.  

I actually think you are being unfair to Tudor there.  He's actually a valued member of the community who is very helpful to users.  The fact is that up until now our understanding of Virgin Media policy is that they will not activate routers that have been bought on Ebay, etc.  Instead they would encourage users to contact customer services for a replacement.  There are sound reasons for this policy, certainly when I moved location to a different region, even though I had the original hub, the VM technician replaced it, as hubs that were activated in one region could not be moved to another.  Also you end up paying from something that in most circumstances VM will provide you at no additional cost.  So you paying for the hub means you are lining someone else's pockets and losing money in the process.

I do think that we need an official statement from the @ModTeam in this thread as to what's happening going forward.  I rather doubt they've changed policy on this.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 I wouldn’t necessarily call it unfair. Wether he’s a valued member or not. There was nothing constructive in his response. He could have explained why it wouldn’t work etc like others had. Instead he put the comment he did in. Which in turn turned out to be a false one. It’s quite sad that someone who’s deemed a valued member puts the comment he did. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

"Which in turn turned out to be a false one."

Except it's not false.  I've been active on these Forums for nearly a decade and a VIP (formerly Superuser) for over 5 years.

Every interaction I've seen with VM regarding 2nd hand hubs from Ebay/etc is that VM won't activate them.  That an agent has decided to do this is worrying.  I do expect the Forum Team to reach this thread at some point, and we will see how they resolve this, IMHO leaving a hub that they haven't supplied to you directly active on their network would set an undesirable precedent.

Tim