Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 wireless not working

I’ve been looking at routers and have seen the google WiFi mesh system, which looks interesting.

if I get one or two of the google units, and put the hub3 into modem mode, can I still use some of the ports on the hub3 for some of my pcs that are not wireless?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In modem mode only one port is actively connected to the network - so you need a "switch". These are usually 4 or 6 or 8 port and work very well and are usually £10-20 on Amazon - Netgear ones are highly regarded.
But you dont need the Hub in Modem mode for a google mesh system to work and just plug it into the Hub - you can then switch off the Hub wifi in its settings to keep it simpler. A switch may still be useful if you have a few cabled devices but put the mesh cable connection into the Hub and not to a switch to circumvent any issues.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that is just the info I need.  I have a switch somewhere , but not needed it for a few years, but looks like I will not need it after all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've ordered one of the google WiFi units and I'll give it a go

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

How’s your WiFi now, I’ve had hub 3 WiFi issues for months keeps kicking in and out got a replacement hub 3 recently but the WiFi strength still not good and sky boxes keep loosing connection, just wondering what model net gear you have and have you completely removed the hub3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Bear-aviator wrote:

How’s your WiFi now, I’ve had hub 3 WiFi issues for months keeps kicking in and out got a replacement hub 3 recently but the WiFi strength still not good and sky boxes keep loosing connection, just wondering what model net gear you have and have you completely removed the hub3

You would be as well starting your own thread if you are looking for assistance.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've got the VM router in modem mode and using two Google WiFi units to provide signals around the house.

This works great and not had any issues since.

0 Kudos