Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 wireless not working

I've got a Hub 3.0 and the wireless bit sometimes is flaky.

I have tried using the connect app and when the Hub is playing up, the scan results just show Email and messaging is OK, but none of the others (this is whilst I am next to the Hub).

The app suggests a reboot of the Hub, but when it trys this fails.

If I cycle the power to the Hub, once it has restarted everything is OK again, for a few days.

Do I have a faulty Hub?

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 wireless not working

How is the Internet with a device connected to the hub with a cable? This will check whether it is the WiFi that is at fault or the signal from VM. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The wired devices are all fine, its just the wireless stuff that has issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked that all the Hub's connections are tight?

Have you tried the various help posts at the top of this section?

If not of that helps, phone 150 and report it as a a fault. You may have to be insistent as not all the staff there are very helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've used the connect app to help improve the signal, and I've checked the connections are tight.
As I said it works fine for a day or so, when we get bad speeds, we cycle the power and usually everything is ok again.
Could it be due to the number of devices connected to the hub? the connect software is currently reporting 18 devices connected and another 5 connected to the booster, that I fitted yesterday.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

With that number of devices I would be looking for a better router in any case, and put the Hub into modem mode.  You'd get better performance than that 'booster'.

That's not to make any judgement on whether the present Hub is faulty, only that I would want to be using something more reliable if so many devices depended on it.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Adding the boosters made things worse. Had to take them out. Glad they were free.
They conflicted with my existing homeplug units and made WiFi even worse.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

jpeg's advice above is good. Get your own wireless router designed to provide 20+ connections

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've had similar issues with wi-fi over the last few months - and had little help or response from Virgin to be honest. Took the bull by the horns in the end - and though you can argue Virgin should not be giving out a router incapable of managing multiple devices on the 2,4/5Ghz ranges effectively - it can - but only for a limited number of devices it seems.

With Smart devices now seemingly filling up the bandwidth - my house was fine till I started adding these, Echo's smart switches, etc etc - I tested the response with a second router plugged into the Hub 3 and switched it to Modem only mode as my research suggested. Whilst this only had a 2,4Mhz band - the issue went away - due to the traffic issues that the Hub 3 seemingly cannot cope with.

With the issue resolved and wi-fi or rather Internet I should say not dropping all the time - I installed a Netgear Nighthawk the other day to give me the facilities everyone needs, proper traffic monitoring, better speed, stronger signal.

I too had tried the boosters after some bright spark from Virgin support had suggested I needed those. No difference. As I assumed at the time.

SO I would suggest you do the same - cough up for a decent Router, and get the Wi-fi you should have. I'm getting what I should have on the devices, and no dropouts any more.

Seems to me the Hub 3 can only manage about 10 devices effectively. Anymore and you're in a world of pain.

Might seem extreme - but the Hub 3 just isn't up to the job it seems.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

This is what I have thought also that the Hub 3 just cannot handle the number of devices a modern home has.