cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 stopped working as a modem

Zootkillzing
Joining in

I have had my Hub 3.0 switched to modem for at least 4 years and it has suddenly stopped working, if i switch it back to router mode it works fine and brings in internet. Switch it back to modem mode and nothing, have tried 2 different routers with it after factory resets etc and still no internet when in modem mode.

I am literally tearing my hair out, zero assistance from Virgin, spoke to the help desk only to be told its working fine and i have got modem mode switched off and hers how you turn it on. Tried repeatedly to explain that i have switched it back to router as a temporary way to achieve some internet but failed to get this across to the person on the other end...majorly frustrating.

I have factory reset all equipment twice and set up from scratch to eliminate any conflicts and still will not work in modem mode, how on earth do i get a new hub from VM? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance, Steve

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Before anything else... when you switch to modem mode and connect your own router then you must follow a sequence or it wont work.  Can you try one (both?) of your routers by connecting again in the exact the way stated in message 2 of this thread.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub3-in-Modem-mode/td-p/5206738

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Zootkillzing 👋

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've had some problems when activating Modem Mode on your Hub. As mentioned by jbrennand, the Modem Mode service requires specific steps to be followed to gain access to the Broadband service.

Have you been able to use the link provided by jbrennand and try those steps? Are you also able to test the connection of Hub in Modem Mode by using an Ethernet connection in Port 1 and connecting it directly to a device such as a laptop, or computer, rather than a 3rd-party router? 

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Zootkillzing
Joining in

Hi Both,

Thanks for your replies and advice, i have followed the setup as detailed and still had the same issue, only thing i haven't tried is the computer connected directly (macbook with no ethernet port...).

I will give it another go on the factory reset and re set up from scratch just to be doubly sure, obviously cannot understand why i didn't have to do this when i first set it up 3 years ago or why it worked for 3 years and suddenly now will not without it being a hardware issue! 

I will also order an ethernet adapter so i can try the direct connect method to test the system.

Thanks again and will feed back..

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don’t know if you can check, but all your problems could be caused by your WAN IP changing.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2