Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 red light

Hello there,

My Hub 3.0 has been showing a solid red light on the base for the past few days. According to the online documentation this indicates that it is overheating. I have read other threads where people have experienced the same issue and have followed the advice there to no avail. For information:

1) I am using the hub in router mode.

2) I have turned the hub off and on again.

3) I have performed a factory reset using the pinhole on the back of the hub.

4) The hub is unobstructed and has clear airflow in a cool room.

While the hub doesn't feel hot to the touch and appears to be working as normal I would rather get it replaced due to the fire risk that it poses. Even if it is simply a faulty LED, I would no longer be able to tell if it had actually overheated, e.g. "the router who cried wolf".

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 red light

The Red Light is an indication of the Hub overheating and as such, it must be taken seriously.

The only fix is a replacement Hub.

Do not be fobbed off with "blow a fan on it" or "leave it a week to see how it is", that kind of advice is dangerous.

When you go out or retire for the night make sure you switch the Hub off and unplug from the power socket.

You need to contact VM for a replacement Hub.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Mike.

I've tried calling several times but I can't seem to speak to an actual human being and only get offered automated device tests. These (unsurprisingly) pass, at which point the call just ends. I also tried using the "Service Status" test on my online account which implies that it will allow you to replace faulty kit, if detected. This also passes since it only tests whether the hub is online.

Is there a direct number to contact customer support to order a replacement hub? Otherwise, I'll just wait until someone picks up the message thread here. (It seems like other people have been successful this way.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There's only the one number.
If not yes, you'll have to wait for a response on here which can take a week.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do I get this message flagged so that Virgin actually take notice? I've tried ringing about 5 times now and have been on hold indefinitely. The only other option is to get texted a link to the online support, which is totally unhelpful.

This is clearly a widespread issue and I find it ridiculous that people who have posted about it more recently than myself have had a response almost immediately, e.g. see here (this was posted, flagged, and dealt with the same day).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You need to either persevere on the phone (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I finally got through on the phone after being on hold for nearly an hour each day. Unsurprisingly the phone operative thought that there was no issue and fobbed me off with things like "it could be an undetected issue in your local area" and "I suggest just leaving it". I had to be extremely forceful and repeatedly point out the danger of a faulty sensor even when the device appears to be working correctly at their end.

Just a couple of notes for other people experiencing the same issue:

• Do post on here since it helps to point out that this is a widespread issue. (Perhaps one day the Virgin Team will make use of the search functionality to find common faults and deal with them all in one go, rather than the current piecemeal approach that means it's complete luck of the draw as to which issue is dealt with first. We can only live in hope.)
  • When trying to call I had to go through the automated options for a broadband fault. This ran a service test that passed fine, after which it hang up on me. When calling back (immediately) it detected that I had previously rung to report a fault. After confirming that this was the case and that it wasn't resolved, I was then put in the queue to speak to an advisor. (A wait of an hour in my case.)

I'll mark this as solved if the new hub works as expected.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A new hub arrived within 24 hours and everything is now working as expected. As others have suggested, frustrating as it is, perseverance is the key. The fix is obvious and easy (a brand new hub) so other than waiting for the postman there's nothing to do once you get through. (The new hub auto activates so it is simply a case of disconnecting the old one, connecting the new one, then reconfiguring any settings to your desires.)

0 Kudos