Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 problems

Hi,

Just needed some help with my hub 3.0. So the yellow light at the front indicates everything is fine. All cabled devices work fine too. The WiFi however is almost non existent. The signal doesn't even reach the booster about 15 feet away anymore. And if you do get a signal it's intermittent.

I've tried all the usual steps: factory reset 3 times, plug out for 30 secs. Nothing seems to work. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as all virgin help lines are down due to covid! 

Cheers,

Ian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 problems

Does a wired connection work ok?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the message Gary.

Sorry, that's what a meant by cabled devices. Yes, wired devices, TV and Ps work fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok. You’ll need to look at optimising the hubs Wi-Fi or getting your own Wi-Fi equipment. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have never seen the Wifi boosters, are they like this? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/get-started-with-your-booster if so its connected via cable not Wifi. 

Why is it so close to your Hub?  Placing it so close can cause issues, can you unplug it for now? 

Log in and take channel selection off of Auto, get a wifi analyser from the google app store (Apple doesn't allow them on iOS for some reason). And see what channels are the best/lowest interference and set them manually.
Set the 2.4GHz one at 20 MHz and the 5.0GHz at 40MHz. 

Has your wifi improved now? 

I have to say this, remember your super hub was built down to the cheapest price, putting it in modem mode and investing in a decent Router is one of the best investments you can make, also remember there is only so much Wifi "pie" to go around, so move as many devices to wired as possible. Unless you have the latest Routers and devices, with MU-MIMO, your router can only talk or listen to one device at a time and also wifi is half duplex (so the router and devices can only talk or listen, they cant do both at the same time).  

Here are some routers that you could look at  https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/8151/the-best-wireless-routers 

0 Kudos