Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 and TP Link - worked but then jammed signal

Hi,

I connected TP Link WA850RE to Hub 3.0. It was all working fine for a few weeks - the WiFi blackspot was getting a good signal.

However, after a few weeks the TP link started to interfere with the general WiFi in the entire house - it was jamming the Hub 3.0 WiFi - so we weren’t even getting WiFi sitting up close to the Hub. The only way to resolve was to switch off the TP Link.

Would appreciate any advice on how to get this resolved. Thanks.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 and TP Link - worked but then jammed signal

Resolve what issue?

The extender is probably sending a stronger signal than the hub.

Also it’s only a wireless N extender so no 5Ghz. Not great in the scheme of things. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Get a £50 wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replies. 

Which wireless router do you recommend for £50? Where would I place it? I can’t move the Hub 3.0. What’s the best option to get WiFi in black spots the other side of the house?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget, £50.00

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Msnau wrote:

Thanks for replies. 

Which wireless router do you recommend for £50? Where would I place it? I can’t move the Hub 3.0. What’s the best option to get WiFi in black spots the other side of the house?

None for £50. You’ll need to spend at least double that. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Would the new wireless router sit next to current Hub 3.0, or be placed in black spot room?

As you can probably guess, I’m clueless about networking/WiFi. I’d be grateful if you could point me to any relevant articles, resources to get a better understanding on best networking solution. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The Router would need to be connected to the Hub using a Cat 6 ethernet cable.

The Hub would need to be in Modem Mode.

The Router would need to be positioned as centrally as possible in the home.

If you do go ahead, get back to us for the best way to set the Router and Hub up.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If the new WiFi router costs more than £50 I’m guessing it’s more economical to contact Virgin Media and pay the £7 monthly for their booster?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Msnau wrote:

If the new WiFi router costs more than £50 I’m guessing it’s more economical to contact Virgin Media and pay the £7 monthly for their booster?

No. Because you’re only renting the boosters and have to return them when you end your custom.

Whereas your own router you would keep and use on whichever ISP you use, and also future-proof yourself.

0 Kudos