Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 and Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300

Had my VM installed on Friday and I am still in shock at just how utterly useless the WiFi range is on the Hub 3.0, it's simply unusable for what I need. 

So I've tried to set everything up with my Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300 WiFi router, but have not managed to get anywhere this morning, and so would appreciate some help please.

Here are the steps I've taken:

• Turned my Hub 3.0 into Modem-Only mode.
  • Plugged Ethernet cable into port 2 on the Hub 3.0.
  • Tested Ethernet cable above directly into my PC and internet connection works fine.
  • Plugged Ethernet cable into WAN/Internet port on my Nighthawk and... nothing.
  • Problem Detecting the Internet message constantly when running the setup wizard on the Netgear.

No matter what I try (rebooted both devices and hard reset the Netgear multiple times), the router simply does not recognise the internet connection, which as I mentioned, works completely fine if I take the exact same cable out of the router and plug it straight into the PC.

I'm at a loss. Can someone offer any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 and Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300

1. Configure your own router first
2. Put the hub into modem mode
3. Power everything off (hub and router)
4. Power on hub only with nothing connected to ethernet ports and allow 5 minutes to initialise
5. Connect router to bottom ethernet port of hub and the other end to the WAN port on the router
6. Power up the router and allow 5 minutes to initialise
7. Test connection

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you can get your PC to work in modem mode connect that to your router log in go to WAN/internet settings and find the clone option to copy your PC MAC to router then connect the router to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Just tried this, wrote down the MAC address when I was connected to the internet directly from the modem, used the same address in the Netgear setup and it still can not detect an internet connection. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Use this method ...

Put the Hub 3 into modem mode …

To enable modem mode on your Hub 3

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub 3.0
  2. Open your Internet browser
  3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  4. Enter your Hub 3 settings password. The default password is on the bottom of the Hub 3.  If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

and wait for the base light to turn magenta.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1.

………………………………………………………………………..

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub 3.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialized (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub 3.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

As above, I’m following all of these steps and still the router sees no internet connection. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Follow the instructions I gave.

Use the bottom Ethernet port on the virgin hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How many ethernet cables plugged into the Hub ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I tried both of your steps. Neither has worked. There are two Ethernet cables plugged into the Hub. The first is obviously the one that splits out of the cable in the wall and the other is the one connecting the Hub to my router. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The white cable from the wall is a coax cable not Ethernet.

You're not doing something correct if it’s not working.

Have you already configured the Netgear to run DHCP?

0 Kudos