Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 and Mesh Wifi

What you are saying all sounds sensible to me. Two of my friends have recently bought the TP-Link Deco M5 3-pack (~£150) and are very pleased with them. Other good options are Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's - stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-lately's like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have slower 100Mbps ports but in your price range (say £150-250) they should all have those.

Take a look at what fits your needs, look nice for ascetics, your tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews pro's/cons (google search for "best mesh uk 2020").

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I think I've reached a solution regarding my choice of Mesh system. Some where on this forum I read a post by someone in Scotland who lived in a tenement, and solved his problems by utilising a Ubiquiti Amplifi HD. I realise this may be over kill, especially on price, but I want a stable and secure system that is easy to set up and install.

Is it really as easy as the reviews say? Are there any Hub 3.0 issues? Can someone point me towards specific instructions re changing the Hub 3.0 settings?

I wasn't around when the Virgin engineer installed the Tivo, how does it access the Wifi? Has anyone installed this system and have any tips?

I would be very grateful for any advice, or comments regarding this proposed set up before I actually commit.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Ubiquiti Amplifi system is top on my list when my current system bites the dust. But that is largely down to the fact that a lot of Apple engineers went to Ubiquiti when Apple closed their Airport programme. The Apple influence is obvious in their kit. It is also highly regarded on here but more usually their routers and wireless access points get all the plaudits. It might be a bit overkill for your needs and I have no personal experience of it

I spoke to my 2 mates (both "technophobes"!) who both got the Deco M5 systems last week and both are saying its absolutely fantastic. A breeze to set up once you get the connection "sequence" (details below) correct - will be same for the Ubiquiti kit or any other kit. One gets 105Mbps on his 100 package in every room in his house and the attic conversion and the garden - and the other on PlusNet gets ~60 Mbps on their 60 package everywhere.  You can easily add additional units if you have any really difficult places to cover

Re Tivo - is it a Tivo or a V6. I assume V6 - which connects to the internet either with a cat6 cable from one of the ethernet ports on the Mesh units - the first unit is now the router but other ports on other units give top speed too - or alternatively connect over the now excellent wifi !

------    The initial set up......

Put the hub into modem mode (instructions on VM website) and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/mesh unit with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode - most are already auto set up in that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then connect it on an ethernet cable into the WAN port on the VM hub. Now finally, power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.
Then follow the instructions on the App from your Mesh supplier for setting up the other units

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your help. You are correct it's not a Tivo it is a V6 box it's not wired and it came with no paperwork. How is the Wifi connection made, will it automatically search and join a new network?
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So sorry I forgot to add Kudos.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On the remote you would go Home>Help>Settings>Network>Connect to VM services and in there you will see and select the SSID of your wifi (whatever you called it) and then connect - you will be asked to input the password and that's it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your time the help you've afforded me.
0 Kudos