forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
RicD
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 and Apple Time capsule in bridge mode - slow timecapsule wifi

Hello

I'm using my hub virgin media super hub 3.0 as my router and have this connected to my time capsule (in bridge mode) with a cat 6 ethernet cable.

Both the hub and time capsule run different wifi networks. 

On the hub's wifi I get my full m200 broadband speed but using the time capsule wifi I can only get around 50mbps at best.

I see that many others have posted with similar issues of slow time capsule wifi speeds, but has anyone found a solution to this issue?

I have tried a number of brand new cat6 ethernet cable between the hub and time capsule as well as installing a Netgear switch between the two (time capsule and hub) but this has not improved the speed i can get on the time capsule wifi. 

Wondering if it's simply time to retire the timecapsule?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 and Apple Time capsule in bridge mode - slow timecapsule wifi

Why are you not running the Hub in modem mode with the TC in router mode and doing all the heavy lifting? I have my Extreme like that and I get 220Mbps on wifi from the Extreme (when near the router).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
RicD
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thank you for your input / suggestion and glad to hear the hub plays ok with an airport extreme (q: which version do you have?)

I have not tried that setup yet but from what I have read elsewhere time capsule users (vs airport extreme) don't get a resolution on the time capsule wifi speed by making your suggested change. 

If anyone has the exact same setup as me with the original time capsule i would be interested if using the time capsule as router works for them with the super hub 3.0?

As my time capsule is the original version (draft n) I assumed wifi should have moved on with the super hub hence the reason I am using that as the router, but when I get some spare time I may try the vm hub in modem mode and take the time capsule out of bridge mode.

Note: I assume that when using the vm hub as a modem it can't provide a separate wifi ssid to the timescales wifi. 

Since I first posted i have seemed to get a more stable / faster timecapsule capsule wifi to operate by setting the time capsule WiFi to 5 ghz vs the a/g compatibility mode (or 2.4 ghz mode) but still only get around 50 mbps vs the 200mbps download speed I am looking for, although oddly i do get the full 20mbps upload speed. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have the latest version of the Extreme (6th Gen) which is the same as the last (5th Gen) TC - except the TC includes a hard drive for back ups - AFAIK - everything else is identical. Its been doing all my routing and wifi connections since the day I got it seven years ago - and been fine - top speeds.

I do have some "difficult" mote distant areas of the house but those are sorted with 2 Airport Expresses connected on wifi and in bridge mode.

I dont understand why TC users should see anything different to Extreme users - but if you know I would like to hear why.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos