Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Permanent Red Light

Been struggling with intermittent broadband connection for some time.   There is no seeming correlation to time of day or general Virgin Media network status.  

The light on the modem is constantly on (red), which through the troubleshooter is diagnosed as an over heating alarm.   I don't believe that this is the case since the unit is only a little warm to the touch, is upright, clear of obstructions and well ventilated etc.   My central heating boiler packed up last week so consequently the house is a little chilly at the moment as well!

Anyway, I get intermittent  breaks in broadband connection from all the devices hanging off the network; WiFi or Wired (note that the it's running in modem mode, my home mesh network is handling the wifi clients) - Can I get a replacement Hub 3.0?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Permanent Red Light

The red light means it’s in modem mode

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The red power light is an indication that the Hub is overheating.

This can only be fixed by replacing the Hub.

Before you retire for the night or go out make sure the Hub is unplugged from the wall power socket.

Don't accept any BS about it will be OK or blow a fan on it.

Contact VM ASAP

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Before you retire for the night or go out make sure the Hub is unplugged from the wall power socket.

Contact VM ASAP

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

They’re in modem mode. Hence the red light. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Contact VM ASAP

They’re in modem mode. Hence the red light. 

Modem Mode is Magenta not red.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It’s never really been “magenta” and is often misinterpreted as being “red” and giving a false alarm of it overheating.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

It’s never really been “magenta” and is often misinterpreted as being “red” and giving a false alarm of it overheating.

It may be a false alarm in this instance but if it is ignored "because it is always like that" and the one day it isn't a false alarm and it all goes up in smoke it will rest on the shoulders of two people - the person that advised that it is a false alarm and the person that accepted that advice !!

Mike Robinson

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@anjones Simple check to see if this is a faulty modem with a red light as opposed to magenta: Flick the modem back into router mode for a few minutes, let it come back on line.  Don't need to connect anything, so you can leave the mesh and all devices in situ, just wait and see if the light goes white.  If it comes back as red, pink, magenta, yellow then the hub is faulty and needs replacing, UNLESS a pinhole reset restores it to proper operation and a white LED when online.  

If the light remains red but hub is not genuinely overheating, then it needs replacing as the LED is a safety indicator and obviously can't be relied upon as @MikeRobbo suggests.  But in the case of a faulty indicator, then chances are the connection problems have another cause, so when you get a replacement you'll need to come back here and we can check power and noise status data.

If the light is white when tested in router mode, then the LED would appear to be working and it just appears red in modem mode (I'm running in modem mode, and any off-axis view says the LED is red, it only appears magenta when looked at full face-on).  In that case, you're good to put it back in modem mode.  Go into the "Check router status" page and copy and paste here the contents of the three tabs titled Downstream, Upstream and Network log, and we can take a look.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In the interim I performed a factory reset on the modem and have not experienced the same issues as before.

Regarding your advice, when I reset the modem into router mode, the power light is white.   When rebooted back into modem mode, it maybe is magenta and not red, but my aged eyes can't tell the difference!   The light does look magenta when a photo is taken, but red when viewed by eye...

At the moment I'm a relatively happy chappy, so thanks for the feedback.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi anjones, thanks for the message. It sounds like the issue has now been resolved, can you confirm that this is the case? If not can you please post the logs so that we can look over this for you. Chris 

0 Kudos