Menu
Highlighted
Fleetfoot
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Internet not available on wifi

I have a Hub 3.0 which has been fine for ages, but I now get ‘Internet not available’ when I’m using the WiFi on it. The Hub is on the top floor with powerlines on the middle and bottom floors. The middle floor is running a different network name as the powerline is inconvenient to get to but the bottom floor has been paired to my Virgin network name. I never suffer any drops connected by WiFi to either of the powerlines, only the main Hub.

Have I got too many devices connected wirelessly to the Hub - 4 Echo, 1 PS4 and often 4 phones and 2 iPads?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bob8
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Internet not available on wifi

fwiw, I note you use powerline adapters.  Check out this thread for possible answer if your problem appears to be only with the Hub 3's wifi.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/No-Internet-Secured-message/td-p/4111541 

What brand of powerline adapters do you use?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fleetfoot
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi bob8

I did read that thread and it's an interesting one. I'm using Devolo powerlines that I bought over 5 years ago and I've not had any problem in all that time. I installed them because I had to move my home office from upstairs, where I could put an ethernet cable into the PC from the hub I had at the time, to two floors downstairs where the wi-fi signal just wasn't good enough for me to work. Everything has behaved absolutely faultlessly (with the odd general outage) but the last few days have been the problem.

I'm loath to start messing about with new routers and the settings on the Hub simply because it's not my area of expertise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

have you set your own ssid and/or password on the hub - if so log into hub and check they are still as you set them - a reset if one has happened will set them back to default so if your devices connect automatically they will not connect

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bob8
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

fwiw, could you try this simple test to see whether your Devolos are a factor ?

Confirm you have strong wifi signal from Hub 3 wifi but the device (eg. phone or laptop) cannot access internet.  Next, unplug all ethernet cables (include Devolo) from the Hub 3's ethernet ports.  Then shut down and restart a wireless device (eg. phone, laptop) and check whether it can now access internet via Hub 3's wifi.  I do NOT think you need to turn Hub 3 off and on too with above test in our experience.

One thought I had is whether Virgin may have rolled out a new firmware update to the Hub 3 in recent weeks/months, and it unfortunately contains a bug which is incompatible with some powerline adapters...  (My relative's Hub 3 is only a month old so it probably has the latest firmware installed)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fleetfoot
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There's definitely something funny going on and the behaviour has changed slightly this week.

What will happen now is that if I leave the iPad for any length of time, I'll come back to it showing no wifi signal at all. Going into Settings will immediately cause it to show wifi but you get the 'No Internet' message. Switch to the Powerlines wifi, switch straight back and everything works perfectly normally. My wife has the same issue with her Samsung phone and the same 'fix' sorts it out so it's not an iOs thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting in touch with us Fleetfootand sorry that you're having issues with your boosters.

Please could you check the following link to see if any of the measures listed on here, will help you get a full connection. Please click here

Regards

Steven_L 

0 Kudos