Menu
Lucky_Luxy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0, Eero Mesh WiFi & Virgin Media TV V6 Box

I just bought an Eero mesh WiFi system from Amazon. I read that you had to put the Hub 3.0 into modem only mode, so I did this and set up my new mesh network. Everything was fine, until I noticed that my Philips Hue bridge was not connecting. I removed the Ethernet cable from the Hub 3.0 and plugged it into the Eero, then the Hue bridge worked. The last thing I discovered was that the Virgin Media TV box (V6 box) was not connecting? Eventually I had to put the Hub 3.0 back in being a router to get it to work. Why was the TV box not connecting when the Hub 3.0 was in modem mode? My Eero was connected to the Hub 3.0 when it was in modem mode, but the Virgin TV box would not work? I currently have the Hub 3.0 in router mode and everything works, including my Eero Mesh WiFi network. I’m just wondering what I’m not understanding and if I need to change any settings etc to get the modem mode working with the TV V6 box. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
C_Butcher86
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0, Eero Mesh WiFi & Virgin Media TV V6 Box

Please PM me with account number

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The TiVo box has its own internet connection so why do you need to connect it to your hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When your VM hub is in modem mode only one of the RJ45 sockets is active. The cable from this one socket should go to your mesh/router. Any wired devices are then connected to your mesh/router. The VM’s hub WiFi is not active in modem mode. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The Eero is designed to replace the router so putting the hub into modem mode is correct. However you do need to plug everything into the Eero but it lacks Ethernet ports, so you need to connect a network switch to it. See my sig for an example of an 8-port gigabit switch.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Lucky_Luxy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I really appreciate the help. Why do you need my account number though? Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Lucky_Luxy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't have its own connection. Unplug it from your Hub/router and see what happens. 

Lucky_Luxy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so the TV box will have to plugged into the new Eero mesh box itself as well. Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
Lucky_Luxy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information. I have no bought a gigabit switch on Amazon. At the moment though, I have the Hub 3.0 in router mode, so it is still supplying WiFi and I have my Virgin TV box plugged into it and working. My Eero mesh network is still working normally as well though, so why does the Hub 3.0 have to be in modem mode? Is it hindering it in anyway? Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have two DHCP servers running which is undesirable in a home installation, which is why the hub is always recommended to be put ito modem mode when connected to a device (typically a router) running a DHCP server.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection