cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 100mbps link speed limit

carracer12
Joining in

Hi,

Recently upgraded to M500 connection, get full speed on wifi stood next to the hub, but when I connect ethernet, it tells me it's got a 100/100 (mbps) link speed. While this is alright, it's not the full 500mpbs I was hoping for to my PC.

I've had a quick look at the admin pages for the hub, but haven't found a way to change the link speed. Is it possible? My network port is capable of 2.5Gbps and the cable is a Cat8 ethernet cable.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Check the PC's network card setting or driver first - the card may have reset to a 100Mbps connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi jbrennand,

I went into control panel and set my speed from auto to 2.5Gbps Full Duplex so I think that's sorted (could very easily be wrong). Powerline connection to another device is showing the same link speed, so I've got a feeling it must be a setting somewhere...

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Powerlines will attenuate the speeds. If you are testing downstream of one of those - I would bet it will be less than 100Mbps.

Take it out and test again

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sadly, I think you may be right...

The powerline adapters state 1300 mbps but sit below 100 when I use them. Plugging in directly gives me in excess of 500mbps

It's a shame it's not feasible to have a standard cable going to my router and the WiFi signal doesn't seem to reach

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Look at getting a Mesh system A good introductory one like TP-Link Deco M4 can be had for less than £100 - that should ensure full coverage - or a cheaper solution may also suffice depending one your property size/build

--------------------
John
--------------------

So the issue seems to be that the powerline network is rated at well over gigabit speeds, but the ports on the adapter itself are each limited to 100mbps, which to me seems like terrible design.

I'll look into extending my WiFi through either an access point closer to the devices upstairs or through mesh networking, I'll have a look and see what would work best for the house.

Thanks for your help.